Sign in to follow this  
A l t e r E g o

High Definition

HDMI vs Component Cables  

2 members have voted

1. 1. Which Cable type is better in your opinion?

• Component (red, green, blue)
    • HDMI
    • I dunno

Poll^

We have a 46" 1080p Toshiba HDTV.

After much going back and forth I have decided I like Component cables best.

I have to put up with a bit of motion blur but the 1% better clarity in the fine details is worth it.

I use both in different rooms.

I like HDMI though because it has the ability to carry both video and audio signals so that cuts out the need of a seperate audio cable. IN the instances where I use component cables (Red, Green and Blue) it's either because the TV doesn't have an HDMI port or because the HDMI ports are already used. For instance, on my main 42" TV I have the 2 HDMI ports already used so when I want to use the Playstation 3 I have it hooked up to the component ports.

Quality wise though, I don't know that there's a whole lot of difference. Oh, another reason I would use component vs. HDMI is that the component ports aren't encrypted while HDMI is. So when I want to re-record an HD program in HD to putonto a Blu Ray (in HD) I use my HD PVR that allows me to record from the HD DVR to my PC. The only way to do that is through the component jacks (since they're not encrypted).

I had to put I don't know. My TV is so old I had to buy an adapter for the VCR so I could use the little plugs.

Sorry about that.

I use both in different rooms.

I like HDMI though because it has the ability to carry both video and audio signals so that cuts out the need of a seperate audio cable. IN the instances where I use component cables (Red, Green and Blue) it's either because the TV doesn't have an HDMI port or because the HDMI ports are already used. For instance, on my main 42" TV I have the 2 HDMI ports already used so when I want to use the Playstation 3 I have it hooked up to the component ports.

Quality wise though, I don't know that there's a whole lot of difference. Oh, another reason I would use component vs. HDMI is that the component ports aren't encrypted while HDMI is. So when I want to re-record an HD program in HD to putonto a Blu Ray (in HD) I use my HD PVR that allows me to record from the HD DVR to my PC. The only way to do that is through the component jacks (since they're not encrypted).

For me, there is a subtle but important difference; component cables aren't as fast as HDMI so motion blur, (like churning water scenes) causes the little squares to be faintly visible.

That doesn't happen with HDMI cables but with them, to illustrate - you know those Clariton-D commercials, where a speaking person is all blurry but then a film peals away and the person is in focus... that is sort of (though not that apparent) the difference I see between the two.

HDMI falls just a little short on clarity with the smallest details in comparison, imo. It could all be in my head though. lol

Dang dude, I was recently checking out Blu-Ray recordable disk prices and was shocked at how expensive they are! I won't be upgrading to that till the prices drop.

For me, there is a subtle but important difference; component cables aren't as fast as HDMI so motion blur, (like churning water scenes) causes the little squares to be faintly visible.

That doesn't happen with HDMI cables but with them, to illustrate - you know those Clariton-D commercials, where a speaking person is all blurry but then a film peals away and the person is in focus... that is sort of (though not that apparent) the difference I see between the two.

HDMI falls just a little short on clarity with the smallest details in comparison, imo. It could all be in my head though. lol

Dang dude, I was recently checking out Blu-Ray recordable disk prices and was shocked at how expensive they are! I won't be upgrading to that till the prices drop.

I haven't noticed really any quality differences between the component vs. HDMI, of course I don't watch a whole lot of TV anyway and a lot of what I do watch is usually from my SD TiVo.

What price were you seeing the Blu Ray discs at? When I got my first Blu Ray recordable drive about 2 years ago the blanks were around $20 to $25 each. Now they're $4 or $5 each, which is a WHOLE lot better than $20 to $25 lol.

I saw a 20 pack for $75 at Fry's. Too much for my budget. I'll stick to my Upconverting DVD recorder till the BD prices come down to current Dual Layer disk prices.

I saw a 20 pack for $75 at Fry's. Too much for my budget. I'll stick to my Upconverting DVD recorder till the BD prices come down to current Dual Layer disk prices.

$3.75 per disc isn't bad as an idividual disc price. 2 years ago that same 20 pack would have been around $300 to $400. If you ever get a burner I'd suggest going to someplace like NewEgg.com, you can buy smaller packs or even individual discs.

The technology is still fairly new though and I don't believe there's any recorders on the market.

When you put it like that it doesn't sound like much, perhaps even a bargain but plopping down "$75" for 20 blank disks sounds insane.

M wouldn't be understanding to that. lol

I discovered our Wii could connect to our TV with a HD adapter cable and I really wanted to do that but I would have to connect it through the same TV Component input as our cable box, forcing me to use an HDMI for cable TV. This got me reconsidering an HDMI cable.

After some investigation I discovered the reason I didn't like the picture with an HDMI cable was that the cable I had was too slow to keep up with our TVs

120 Hz capability.

A quick cable upgrade and now I see why HDMI is so popular.