Sign in to follow this  
Captain Jean-Luc Picard

Helm Question

We've seen the evolution of the helm/navigation station into 2 front stations while other ships just have the helm by itself up front.

Here's my question: How come NX-01 has a small helm while NCC-1701 has a large 2-person helm/navigation station? Perhaps larger ships need a more complex helm console until systems get more automated by the time of the Enterprise-B?

That was one of my biggest complants about enterprise when it came out. The bridge looked to much like the voyager bridge which was a new ship and as well their is now a tacticl station which was not even started until the first movie yea it looks cool but not authenic the only thing on that bridge that looks right is tpols viewer.

Fredbroca, I think the bridge is very fitting with the era. Besides, I thought it was kind'a silly that the TOS bridge didn't have a tactical station, but then again, it's the "original work", so what can you do? Sometimes you just gotta change things to keep the show realisitic, know what I mean?

VBG, by the time the Enterprise-B came out, they had "compressed" helm/navigation into one station called the "helm". With this said, could one say that the NX-01 doesn't have a 2-man helm becuase of it's small size? Yeah, you can say that it's due to different designs, but in TOS & movies 1-6, they needed both a pilot (helmsman) and navigator. On ENT, Travis does both. :)

I am just one of those people that say if it was not on TOS then enterprise should not have it. Before the show started I was looking foward to seeing the crew in uniforms like they had on the cage and having the lazer pistols as well. Then when first show came I was really disapointed that the look was so different. Yes we have better tech now and they have done a great job with most the tech looking pre TOS but just the things they decied to change because they have the better tech is what makes me dissapointed.

I think they have done a great job at making the show look pre TOS like having to puch a button to open the door and so on. My problem is just me being picky. Like the weapons and uniforms. Its just stuff that I think should more look like TOS or the cage even with the time difference. Enterprise is Star Trek and I just want it to look like star trek.