Sign in to follow this  
DrWho42

Facebook Fan Page

Since we already have a Myspace, why not have either a Facebook Group or Fan Page? Here's the link to set one (a fan page) up: Create. It's been really successful for the message board I moderate so I shouldn't see why it wouldn't work here.

I've noticed that on a lot of forums that I go to, if they start a MySpace or a Facebook page, it takes traffic away from the forum itself. Why would Startrekfans need a Facebook page anyway? Whatever someone wants to post should be posted here, not on Facebook.

It could let the fans get to know each other through facebook/help connect the friends maybe. If it wasn't use for the chat sections.

I've noticed that on a lot of forums that I go to, if they start a MySpace or a Facebook page, it takes traffic away from the forum itself. Why would Startrekfans need a Facebook page anyway? Whatever someone wants to post should be posted here, not on Facebook.
The Fan Page would act in the same way that the MySpace page works: a way for fans to spread the word whenever they add the fan page to their Facebook and it shows up on their mini-feeds (basically what you did on Facebook as far as adding friends, uploading images, etc). It's not really a necessity as much as it would help promote the site in the same way as various other websites (i.e. TrekMovie.com) have Twitter accounts (not that I have one though).

I'm positive there are privacy settings to disable other users seeing your Facebook (both your profile and profile image) unless you add them yourself. Go to "Settings" and then "Privacy Settings" which controls who could see your profile.

Startrekfans DOES have a MySpace page but it doesn't seem to have done diddly for the forum here.

Startrekfans DOES have a MySpace page but it doesn't seem to have done diddly for the forum here.
Yeah, I know. I guess the Facebook idea wouldn't work either then.

It's an idea worth looking into, Mandy takes care of those sites (MySpace etc...) for us. She's been pretty busy with life in general and hasn't been on much but when she gets some time I'll ask her to see about it.