Sign in to follow this  
A l t e r E g o

Transformers 2 Possible bad news for Trek 2?

T2 SUCKED! Imo.

Having said that, I admit I am not at all familiar with the original source material and T2 might have been absolutely true to it but, as a movie, T2 SUCKED! imo. Hearing noise and seeing blur is all I remember of it.

I wish I could pin all the blame on M. Bay but the writers bear responsibility too. I hope & pray Orci/Kurtzman do a better job on Star Trek 2 or else the franchise could be in trouble again.

Thoughts?

Orci has said that he is a Trek fan and Abrams has said that he really helped keep the story from going too far from the continuity, so i don't think the next movie will be bad. It's basically in good hands of self confessed fans

T2 SUCKED! Imo.

Having said that, I admit I am not at all familiar with the original source material and T2 might have been absolutely true to it but, as a movie, T2 SUCKED! imo. Hearing noise and seeing blur is all I remember of it.

I wish I could pin all the blame on M. Bay but the writers bear responsibility too. I hope & pray Orci/Kurtzman do a better job on Star Trek 2 or else the franchise could be in trouble again.

Thoughts?

Orci and Kurtzman have said that there are no similarities in writing for the two franchises (or the two directors).

http://trekmovie.com/2009/06/29/orci-kurtz...-universe-more/

Really, most of TF2's problems stem from the fact that it was rushed through the Writer's Strike and Michael Bay had a lot of influence on what went on (note that noise and blur are two of his trademarks and cannot be blamed on the writers, that's all direction).

In terms of source material, there was some really solid TF stuff in there. The Matrix of Leadership, Sun Harvesters (a similar device in at least one original episode), Pretenders, many of the characters (fortunately, the Twins are not based on existing characters, aside from their names and were apparently were Bay's creation which I believe because there is no way Orci and Kurtzman would creation a new Jar Jar) among other things. Alot of it has been repurposed, but most of it has analogues in prior TF fiction. That stuff was well done by the writers. They also introduced some decent new ideas. Personally, I thought NEST was a great idea.

Also, somewhat unfortunately, TF 2 is the top grossing movie worldwide ($811 million) of the year. If "Star Trek: Something Something" can do half that well, it will top this movie and be an international blockbuster. Hopefully, it will be lightyears better, though.