Sign in to follow this  
A l t e r E g o

Favorite "Once in a Lifetime" Event

Which is your Favorite "Once in a Lifetime" Event?  

15 members have voted

1. 1. Which is your Favorite "Once in a Lifetime" Event?

• The Return of Halley s Comet
    • Supernova 1987A
    • Comet Shoemaker-Levy 9's Plunge into Jupiter?
    • Comet Hail-Bop
    • Turning of The Millennium (I know but what the heck)
    • Mars Closest Approach
    • Other (specify)

B) We've really been blessed with a multitude of once in a lifetime events!

I voted for Comet Hail-Bop, I lost a lotta sleep going out every night and following it's progress from first light, around the Sun and back out into the Solar System.

It was for me, the show of my life.

Please cast your vote and share your stories if you have them...

I also say Hale-Bopp. It was impressive. Also, I watched Halley's comet in 1984-1985, and I don't plan on that being a once-in-a-lifetime event.

Comet Hyakutake 1996

One night I remember walking outside and looking over the top of my house's roof. I looked up and as I hadn't planned to go outside and it was such a surprise. The comet's tail seemed to be so close (as though I could touch it) and seemed to stretch as long as my house roof (blue gas) and the tail was the most beautiful blue with a faint edge of pink. The head of the comet wasn't as eye-catching as the tail. I don't know what made this comet seem so clear and ethereal; the seeing may have been exceptional. With the comet positioned in front of Scorpio it was an incredible sight. Even today I wonder if I really saw this as the colours and size were amazing. B)

Comet Hyakutake Image

Number 2

Leonid meteor shower 1997 or 1998? Lounging on the beach from midnight until dawn watching these meteors zip by. Exciting and incredible.

Number 3

Comet Hale-Bopp Great comet to watch night after night.

It may not count as once in a lifetime, but when I saw the lunar eclipse last year, it was very impressive. I can now understand why primitive man might think it was a bad omen.

On those rare occasions in my lifetime when a lunar eclipse has occurred, there has always been cloud cover wherever I was.

While those listed are all very impressive events, I had to vote other. Mine was the 'Crash of Skylab' in 1979. It was great, there was tons of news coverage, a lot Crash parties and I still have my T-shirt that says "I survived the crash of Skylab."

Comet Hyakutake 1996

I was trying to remember the name of that one to add it. I saw it too and it was pretty spectacular, they said it was 100 times closer to Earth than Hail-Bop but it was also a 100 times smaller.

Took me a while to find it though, the news reports were saying it was right above us but when I went out to look for it, I kept "looking past it".

I was getting frustrated at all the hoopla about it but I still wasn't seeing it then suddenly one night, my eyes focused a little closer to Earth and I saw it right there in front of me. I promptly stumbled backwards at the sight of it I was truly floored.

Man was it fast too, every night the distance it had traveled since the prior night was very apparent and to this day I still wonder if I had heard it 'hissing' as it passed.

It may not count as once in a lifetime, but when I saw the lunar eclipse last year, it was very impressive. I can now understand why primitive man might think it was a bad omen.

I know what chu mean, that blood red color spilling over the face or seeing the Moon slowly dissapear is chilling.

While those listed are all very impressive events, I had to vote other. Mine was the 'Crash of Skylab' in 1979. It was great, there was tons of news coverage, a lot Crash parties and I still have my T-shirt that says "I survived the crash of Skylab."

Cool! That may not be a once in life time (MIR) but thanks for adding it! B)

The return of Halley's Comet....

I remember travelling to the foothills just east of my home town and stargazing several times that year,with my Boy Scout troop.It was a lot of fun.It was also the event that began my fascination with the stars and space,and lead me down the path to becomming a Trekkie.

Hale-Bopp. I was in an airplane when I saw it, flying over the Pacific to Hawaii--it was REALLY great, even though pretty much everyone in the plane was crawling over me (I was in the window seat, and I've never been a large person) to see it.

I chose other I am fairly shallow so my universe revolves around me, so of course that once in a lifetime event is something that revolves around me