Sign in to follow this  
Gotabite

Episode Caretaker/Different Captain

Captain Janeway has been given lots of praise and lots of criticism about her behavior in the beginning episode "The Caretaker." Okay so let's look at the episode hypothetically. If Picard, Kirk, or Sisko had been at the helm at that time; how do you think things would have been different? Or do you think any of them would have made similar decisions? B)

I think other captains would have made similar decisions. I never thought there was any debate about the FIRST episode of VOY. Obviously her biggest decision was to destroy the Caretakers array to save the Ocampa. I suppose one could argue that she broke the prime directive by doing that, but sometimes, you just gotta say "Prime Directive Be Damned".

Stardate:213792.7

Well Kirk would of done the same cause we all know he follows the prime directive to the letter B)

Sisko might have done the same,depends if the dominion war is going on.If it isnt he would do the same,if it is he wouldnt.

Picard i cant be sure.Right now im leaning towards yes.

I'm not at all certain that Kirk,Picard,or Sisko would have come to the same decision(or Archer).

I would have said,"TO he** with the Ocampa.I'm going home."

A hard decision,but one I would have made.And,I would have had the PD on my side.

It is hard to say. I always kind of wondered why they didn't see there was a way for them to fix the self-destruct mechanism, have the array send them home, and have the array set to self destruct after they were back home.

It is hard to say. I always kind of wondered why they didn't see there was a way for them to fix the self-destruct mechanism, have the array send them home, and have the array set to self destruct after they were back home.

Come to think of it, they could have continued that at the end of 'Caretaker'. The second episode could have been about the crew trying to figure out the technology on the array, and the fued developing between the Federation and Maquis members of the crew. Just a thought.

Because there was a Kazon battle group approaching to augment the Kazon forces already present.Voyager would not have stood a chance in that confrontation.So,Janeway opted for the only choice that made any sense.No Federation starship commander would have allowed the Kazon to acquire the Caretaker's array.Do you realize how advanced and potentially lethal some of that tech was?It could have even proven a threat to the UFP.So,it wasn't only about saving the Okampa.

Because there was a Kazon battle group approaching to augment the Kazon forces already present.Voyager would not have stood a chance in that confrontation.So,Janeway opted for the only choice that made any sense.No Federation starship commander would have allowed the Kazon to acquire the Caretaker's array.Do you realize how advanced and potentially lethal some of that tech was?It could have even proven a threat to the UFP.So,it wasn't only about saving the Okampa.

I didn't remember that (I'll take your word for it). Put that could have been what ended up messing up their plans anyway. But again, I must say it's justa thought.

I wouldn't like not knowing whether the array had self-destructed or if the Kazon had managed to gain control of it thus theatening the Ocampa and (eventualy) the Alpha quadrant.

I think that any of the other Captains would have made the same decision, because it was the right choice.

I believe that Kirk would have 'cheated'. Tried to bluff The Kazon out of going near the array.

On the Enterprise, Data would probably have been able to modify a pulse or something to neutralise it, etc etc

Sisko would probably have used it to get home. He was more 'hard' I felt than the other Captains.

Archer would have probably went and thought about it for a few hours and then looked pensive....

I believe that Kirk would have 'cheated'. Tried to bluff The Kazon out of going near the array.

On the Enterprise, Data would probably have been able to modify a pulse or something to neutralise it, etc etc

Sisko would probably have used it to get home. He was more 'hard'  I felt than the other Captains.

Archer would have probably went and thought about it for a few hours and then looked pensive....

Great Comments!!!!

Sisko would probably have used it to get home. He was more 'hard'  I felt than the other Captains.

Yes great response prometheus. :blink:

You haven't seen any episodes from the New Direction yet huh? The New Archer is not so pensive as his former self was, quite the opposite as a mater of fact, you'll see soon...