Sign in to follow this  
A l t e r E g o

Trek scribes speak, complaints addressed – UPDATED

Darth Mojo

Trek scribes speak, complaints addressed

By darthmojo

Trekwriter

Last night in Hollywood, Creative Screenwriting editor Jeff Goldsmith hosted a special screening of the new Star Trek movie, followed by a Q&A with writers Alex Kurtzman & Roberto Orci. While I have yet to publish my official review, readers are aware that, while I found the film to be entertaining, I felt it was somewhat lacking in depth. I attended tonight’s screening in the hopes that the writing duo would be grilled about fans’ criticism, and thankfully, Mr. Goldsmith did not disappoint. The duo spoke about their history, how they approach writing and their personal experiences with last year’s strike, but the heat was turned up when Jeff pulled out a hefty printout of fan questions gathered from around the net, designed to help all of us get a better insight into the most common complaints people have had about the new movie….

At this point be forewarned, ultra-spoilers follow!

Note that while I will do my best to remember the juiciest details, you can download a podcast of the entire Q&A here on iTunes.

WHY TIME TRAVEL?

Click for Spoiler:

Many (including myself) have wondered what the point was of going to such great lengths to reconcile existing Star Trek cannon with a new story. Why bother with all this alternate-timeline hooey? If you’re rebooting the franchise and starting over, then just start over! The problem with that, according to Kurtzman & Orci, is that audiences might have assumed this new movie was simply an attempt to tell a story about Kirk & Spock from back before the original series, and everything that happened in Trek lore is still destined to happen. Where’s the fun in watching this crew take on the galaxy if we know Kirk will eventually be killed by Soren, Spock will become an ambassador to Romulus and everyone else lives? By history being altered, nothing has yet been written – Kirk really could die on the next mission and Khan might end up selling shoes. With a whole new timeline, stories are no longer beholden to “established” history and while everything we know and love is still there, how it plays out is no longer written. If you’ll pardon the cliche, essentially it means that everything old is new again!

THE CORVETTE

MORE http://darthmojo.wordpress.com/2009/05/14/...ints-addressed/

Click for Spoiler:

Where’s the fun in watching this crew take on the galaxy if we know Kirk will eventually be killed by Soren, Spock will become an ambassador to Romulus and everyone else lives?

Click for Spoiler:

If series of X episodes is made it's a pretty sure bet that Kirk won't die until the very last one earliest.

A writer worth his pay can work under conditions where the fate of the character is known and still make it fun and interesting.

Why am I spoilering this?

Edited by Hooray for boobies