Ok..here goes...

I grew up watching the original series (at least in syndication), then as an older teen/young adult loved watching majority of TNG (fav characters included Data, and Guinan..absolutely loved to hate Q). I even went to a convention once and met the actor who played Q.

I saw most of the movies (eventually I'll buy the whole darn sets and have a movie marathon saturday one day lol).

My fav movie was ST IV, mostly cuz I'm an animal buff.

Now.. my husband wasnt much of ST fan so he went into watching ST XI with a completely unschooled and fresh mind. He enjoyed it! Myself I thought it was one great sit on the edge ride. There was a continuity to it, and the storyline made absolute sense in order to draw an new crowd. Think about it, for die-hards, you could do it over and over and over and over and never get bored.... like reading your favorite book and always finding something fresh. As for me I sort of looked at this movie as if someone said Oh, look its a choose your own ending book! And instead of heading down the same path that would ultimately have the same familiar ending, they struck down a road that has yet to be traveled (and in a sense isnt that the path Roddenberry always tried to find).

I loved the choice of actors who seemed to capture the essence of the characters whom we know and love, but brought to the table a little bit of themselves giving the characters a newness that we haven't seen before.

For two hours I was captured and fell into that zone of believing that the characters, the story, all of it was real and that anypoint in time I could simply experience it. Well done to CG, story writers, directors, well done.

I'm ready to be taken on a new road trip..... how about you?

Edited by silverstar

I saw this film and I honestly think it was the worst of the lot.

I agree with and applaud the courage and integrity of Royal Andorian in speaking her mind here. I also completely agree with her awareness of the multitude of continuity errors on this film. Its sad that the revisionist fans would go to such extremes to try and update a classic and find lame excuses to defend the many mistakes present in this flick. I would like to add the Spock/Uhura romance as yet another mistake on the part of the writers as they literally flushed all the established canon down the toilet with this flick.

I find the inclusion of Cardassian beverages in this film interesting considering they are my fave species, but the member that made the gross mistake of stating we are unsure of the first contact with that species should perhaps do a bit more research on that topic as it is established that first contact with the Cardassians was nearly 90 years after the time of the film and said first contact culminated in a Cardassian/Federation war in which a young Miles O'Brien was a participant. :superhappy:

I also thought the rude comment by another member about 'bitterness' directed at another member was out of place and without merit as it brought nothing to this thread and I personally found that comment to be an embarrassment to the spirit of star trek. Such rudeness only turns me off and I expected to see a higher level of maturity at this site that I loved to visit. Best of luck with growing beyond inane defensiveness.The two members in question need not be named b/c they know who they are.

This was THE best Trek film ever, for four reasons:

First, the acting was top-notch across the entire cast. I'll take Pine over Shatner any day of the week and Sunday, and Quinto was at the very least equal to the role of Spock (although I thought he was a tiny bit better than Nimoy in TOS).

Second, the humor in this movie worked perfectly. While it did include some inside jokes for Trek fans, it also included humor that anyone could get.

Third, the movie didn't let up from beginning to end. Even the exposition parts were entertaining.

Fourth, this was not JUST a Trek movie. This was a movie anyone can enjoy. Too often in the past, Trek films have gotten bogged down in trying to go out of their way to appeal to a mainstream audience. This one just flowed.

The old good movie review cliche, "I laughed, I cried, it became a part of me", applies perfectly to this movie. I give it 5 stars, 2 thumbs up, and my money to see Star Trek 12. :superhappy: