I expected more out of the Narada than we ultimately got from it. It looked really bad-ass, but

Click for Spoiler:

action wise; it just kinda sat there.

I expected more out of the Narada than we ultimately got from it. It looked really bad-ass, but

Click for Spoiler:

action wise; it just kinda sat there.

True, but...

Click for Spoiler:

It is rather big and chaotic. It's probably not especially maneuverable. I imagine its warp speed capability is limited. Which is probably why the Enterprise caught up to it.

Click for Spoiler:
Yeah, what he said. It wasn't even a military ship with a military crew. It's just that it came from a generation or so in the future by "Trek Prime Canon" so it had some more advanced weaponry than the 23rd century ships even as a civilian vessle.

Except, when it comes to Romulans...

Click for Spoiler:

is a mining ship ever really just a mining ship. :superhappy:

Well..

Click for Spoiler:

It was designed to be a mining vessel, not a predatory ship

Psy, the original mining ship was the testbed,

Click for Spoiler:

it still existed at the core but the bulk of it, the hugh innerspace and the tentacles, were because of the application of active Borg Nanoprobes. I am just saying that on the whole, their application didn't do much more than make the Narada become ubersized and look cool. It was lacking any function I would associate as possible with the tech that caused it to exist. The tentacles didn't seem to serve any real function and the hugh innerspace seems a waste since only a handful of Romulans lived on it.

Click for Spoiler:

Yeah, what he said. It wasn't even a military ship with a military crew. It's just that it came from a generation or so in the future by "Trek Prime Canon" so it had some more advanced weaponry than the 23rd century ships even as a civilian vessle.

Very good about the weapons! Maybe that holds the answer I am looking for.

Click for Spoiler:

The weapons, while still not up to Borg standard, were a departure from regular Romulan weaponry and could be why the rest of the ship, though impressive looking, didn't do as much as it appeared it should. Perhaps the first priority of the Nanos was to improve weapons. Given more time the Nanos would have brought more improvements online giving the thing more flexibility and function.

However, it had years while waiting for Spock to make those improvements so I suppose I am still looking for a better solution...

Click for Spoiler:
You can buy assault rifles as a civilian (in those states that actually respect the 2nd Amendment anyway). Now consider what would happen if you took that assault rifle back in time to the War of 1812 or the Civil War. Even as a civilian you could still do some significant damage compared to the military weaponry of the age.

I agree it looked like the mining ship had some Borg technology, but is this backed up by anything? If anything I would guess this is technology brought back by Voyager and not direct Romulan-Borg contact.

According to Countdown;

Click for Spoiler:

Nero, (still in the prime timeline and after the destruction of Romulus by the supernova) runs across the Romulan Senate members who had managed to save their own ass's (don't ask it!) He tortures them into reveling a secret base where, like a Romulan version of Area 51, they covertly develop and create secret projects code named The Shack.

Nero goes there and lies his way into the base where he finds the biggest project being worked on is retrofitting Borg tech with Romulan tech. The result is a system whereby, "superior warp, cloaking, and sensor ability far beyond anything the wildest dreams of the Feds" is possible. It also "learns" is "self repairing" and "grows" in size. It is fitted to Neros ship. He then takes it out and starts blowing up starships of that era with ease but later, against tech much less sophisticated, it is suddelny weak and venerable.

Perhaps going through the black hole weakened it...