Jim Kirk grew up with loving parents, his dad's Star Fleet career serving to inspire Jim to enlist in Starfleet at a young age and become the Captain we all know and love, etc etc. Now what if Kirk's dad had been

Click for Spoiler:

cruelly masacred instead by, say, a time-travelling Romulan, just as Jim was born? How would he have turned out? Well this movie lets us see that. An alternate timeline tale which concludes with Jim back on the rails as a Captain with the well known crew in place. In this alternate timeline, the parties - Spock, Kirk, Bones et al - all meet up and their individual talents ensure that they end up together on the bridge of the Enterprise. Whether or not they all met up in the same way in the original timeline is unlikely - however, it makes for a brilliant storyline which takes in the destruction of Vulcan, a love affair between Spock and Uhura and the Darth Maul-esqu Romulan villan who seeks revenge on the man who let his loved one die! A bit of Star Trek Voyager "Year of Hell" type thing (do these villans never just get over it and re-marry or something??) In any event, I was thoroughly enthralled.
The music was original and punchy and in keeping with Trek as we have known it; I actually bought the Playmates Enterprise yesterday prior to seeing the movie and I have to say the ship looks great.

Click for Spoiler:

On the bridge the glass see-through displays put the TNG Okudagrams to shame! Really they do - the touch screen technology is a progression of that used on Enterprise and indeed the references to Admiral Archer's Beagal and the Vulcan Science Academy all tie in well. Leonard Nemoy makes a welcome return as a century and a half old Spock though "bumping into Kirk" down some random ice cave on some random planet was a wee bit unlikely.
In any event, I am not going to criticise anything as this movie gets 10 out of 10 from me.

Click for Spoiler:

The infamous meld became a vehicle for bringing the young Kirk and Old Spock together. I felt that old Spock could have done without the "lines" from previous movies but overall it was good screen time.
Excellant.

Click for Spoiler:

I would have liked to have seen an elderly T'Pol however, as say, a memeber of the High Council on Vulcan.

Edited by Alterego
to add spoiler tags where appropriate

(spoiler tags added)

Woo Hoo!

Was that the Vulcan High Council though? I don't think it was. They were leaders of the

Click for Spoiler:

Vulcan Academy so it made sense T'Pol wasn't there.

(spoiler tags added)

Woo Hoo!

Was that the Vulcan High Council though? I don't think it was. They were leaders of the

Click for Spoiler:

Vulcan Academy so it made sense T'Pol wasn't there.

It was the Vulcan High Council.

http://memory-alpha.org/en/wiki/Vulcan_Council

Welp, they goofed. :roflmao: lol