Sign in to follow this  
Jack_Bauer

Jack_Bauer's Star Trek review

I give Star Trek a 9.5 out of 10. It was a very solid and enjoyable film with plenty of winks and nods for long time fans (nearly every classic line is repeated). It is very well paced (flies by) and has a very accessible story. It also lays it out quite clearly that this is an alternate timeline and that the destinies of the crew have been altered. The performances are amazing. They may be different actors, but they are the characters. Outstanding effects work and make-up. Additionally this movie is incredibly funny, with loads of character-based humour.

My only major quibble (and I can look past this) is some of the production design. The lower decks of the Enterprise and the Kelvin seem too industrial. I have no problem with that for engineering and the lower decks but maybe we just see too much of it and not enough of the upper decks (though what we do see is nice). I do take issue with the corridor behind the bridge, but overall not a big thing. This isn't the exact same Enterprise.

I didn't blow me away in the way I was hoping though but I think I may have known too much going in.

Overall, the best outing the franchise has had in some time and I eagerly await the sequel.

My only major quibble (and I can look past this) is some of the production design. The lower decks of the Enterprise and the Kelvin seem too industrial.

Agreed, completely. That annoyed me too, expecially the shuttle bay.

I was fine with the shuttlebay. I thought that looked good. So did engineering. They just overused the industrial look. But then again, there was a lot of focus on shuttlebays and engineering. Easily the two most seen areas aside from the bridge. So maybe it just seemed like it.

So what if it looks industrial? It's a spaceship! It has over 400 crewmen! It is *supposed* to be industrial, not plush the way a Galaxy class is.

Ever look inside a submarine? They don't provide for a lot of creature comforts because they want the inhabitants to be "on edge" to some degree so they don't forget where they are and what they are doing.

So what if it looks industrial? It's a spaceship! It has over 400 crewmen! It is *supposed* to be industrial, not plush the way a Galaxy class is.

Ever look inside a submarine? They don't provide for a lot of creature comforts because they want the inhabitants to be "on edge" to some degree so they don't forget where they are and what they are doing.

I have no problem with the industrial look in and of itself. I find it difficult to verbalize my exact problem. May it was just that I felt that there was no sense of order or logic to the design. I'm seeing the movie again tonight, and I'll see if I feel any differently.

I felt its appearance was intended as a homage to TOS engineering. This one, like the original, wasn't a very logical design.

Both are

Click for Spoiler:

some computer modules and a bunch of pipes with little apparent function for the task of propelling the ship.