Sign in to follow this  
Theunicornhunter

Swine Flu

It's a bit ironic that with all the hype in the last couple of years about Avian flu - we're now facing a possible pandemic of swine flu. (although swine flu is apparently less deadly than avian flu)

I remember once as a little child hearing my grandfather talk about having the flu while he was in the service; he enjoyed the telling because he was tellig a tale about someone who had apparently thought he died. In doing a little reading - it's surprising he didn't. Grandpa was a soldier in WWI and the influenza pandemic of 1918 killed several million people; the numbers vary from to 20-50 million people - but more people died of the flu that year than in all of WWI - one out of every five inhabitants of the globe contracted it (not all died). It's regarded as the most devastating pandemic (global outbreak) in recorded history (yes more than the Plague.)

It's kind of amazing with all the exotic diseases and talks of biological warfare - that the flu can be so deadly. Yet it can be.

Here's hoping this won't take hold or that it won't be too severe (although people have already died and it's been found in at least four countries) and people do die of the flu every year.

You're annual flu shot won't help with this strain.

So, wash your hands a lot, don't shake hands, be careful who you kiss and take care of your self.

So, wash your hands a lot, don't shake hands, be careful who you kiss and take care of your self.

Being careful who you kiss can lead to "taking care of yourself" more often - and then you definitely need to wash your hands before shaking hands. :laugh:

I never heard of this WWI-era outbreak, but it sounds even worse than the Black Plague which everyone has heard about. Why is that?

Being careful who you kiss can lead to "taking care of yourself" more often - and then you definitely need to wash your hands before shaking hands. ;)

I never heard of this WWI-era outbreak, but it sounds even worse than the Black Plague which everyone has heard about. Why is that?

:laugh:

On a more serious note, thanks for the advice! I've been keeping an eye out.