Sign in to follow this  
Captain Jean-Luc Picard

What is "Sar Trek" to you?

Greetings, all!

I was thinking the other day, so I'd like to ask you all, what is STAR TREK to you?

For me, STAR TREK if about the adventures of a starship explorring space with a mostly human crew with a few aliens, going where no one has gone before. We have excellent writing, great actors (not celebrities who demand thousands to millions of $$$), awesome special effects, ellaborrate sets on alien ships and worlds, and so forth. I've also enjoyd the occasional "location" shoot, the seen on the surface of Ocampa in VOY "Caretaker" is an excellent example. In the end, Trek is a TV show and movie for me. With this said, I'm not one who demands the NX-01 to look pre-TOS. As long as continuity is intact, the stories are creative, and the Trek franchise continues to remain "futuristic", in terms of new shows and movies that come out, then I'm a very happy fan. :look:

To sum it all up, to me, STAR TREK is a never-ending space adventure in the future. :laugh:

So, what is Trek to you?

Uhm, I don't know if this is the answer you wanted to hear in this topic, CJLP, I see Star Trek from an emotional point of view :laugh: (of course I agree with the facts you like about it, too :look: )

To me it is one of the most important things in my life (not the absolutely most important, but very important). I really like the philosophy and the stories. I like the idea of a star ship flying through space discovering strange new worlds and seeking out new civilizations :look:

I love to "drown" into the Star Trek world. When I watch it, I feel like I am part of it. That is what makes Star Trek so special to me. :(

Mrs. Captain Picard

Edited by Mrs.Picard

This may sound kinda cheasy but star trek gives me hope that humanity will be able to come to it's sences and grow up. It may not happen anytime soon but hopefully it will happen. I also like it on an unemotional level but without the emotion I wouldn't be as big of a fan.

Star Trek also gives me hope for humanity. We as humans have a long way to go before we become tolerant of other cultures,lifestyles,and personal beliefs. I do hope humanity will one day be like the folks on Star Trek,but we will not see it in our lifetime, which saddens me.

it to me does show what we can become, but not to likely in the near future. i like to get lost in the shows i enjoy, and startrek is no excpetion to that rule. also it takes me back to the days of sitting around in the house with my grandma, it was one of the only shows she would let us watch. i love my grandma dearly and i like the pleasent reminders of child hood.

Stardate:213764.9

From a technical stand point Star Trek is a great show because of all the reasons CJLP listed above.

From a philisopical stand point Star Trek is this:

People have said it would be cool to look into the future and see what becomes of humanity.I believe that Star Trek could be that glimpse into the future.I look at Star Trek and i see humanity were it could someday be.Not in every little detail but from a broad perspective.Like I said before Star Trek could not just be a show some day but a reality.And that is whats great about Star Trek

I like the fact that humanity might become like it is in star trek.

I also like the characters in it that have a very different way of thinking like Data, Seven and the borg and the Vulcans. I find it quite intriging the way they think because its so different to the way we think.

I also like the technology in it.

But to me trek is really about hope and courage.

Like the rest of us I agree with the technical aspects CJLP mentioned. If the show didn't have them Star Trek wouldn't go on. No one would like to see it.

But for me the idea of Star Trek, peaceful exploration, equal rights and chances for everyone, no matter what gender, religion, nationality or species is what counts. Whithout the philosophy Star Trek woud be nothing but a show, a good show, like dozens of others.

Often when I'm reading the newspaper I get a sad about what mankind is doing with our planet, how people treat others or how heads of government everywhere try to put through national interests.

I do hope mankind will be able to develop to the better. Star Trek shows that this may become reality.

And reading you comments touches my heart. It's good to see that the Star Trek philosophy is important to others too

Star Trek to me is all about the philosophy. I enjoy the characters, the stories, the special effects, but underlying all that is the idea that one day mankind will have put war aside in favor of peaceful coexistence and fulfilling the potential that every individual possesses. We have accepted and embraced our own diversity and ventured out into space to explore other cultures. This is an ideal that will probably never exist, but it's the kind of future I would hope for.

This may sound kinda cheasy but star trek gives me hope that humanity will be able to come to it's sences and grow up.  It may not happen anytime soon but hopefully it will happen.  I also like it on an unemotional level but without the emotion I wouldn't be as big of a fan.

What you have said here closely represents my feelings about Star Trek. It is the era where people of all ethnic groups, cultures and genders on earth have finally for the most part come together and learned to respect each other, and work together. It is also an era where we have reached out to and learned to respect and work together with others in the universe......It gives me hope that perhaps there is hope.

Perhaps if there was already a colony on the moon, like there should be, I would not be so crazy about Star Trek. I want to be out there! I want humanity to be out there!

I like Star Trek, because humanity is exploring the universe, and everybody (all kinds of folks) gets to go!

Ok when I saw this thread I did some thinking, heres what I came up with..

Star Trek to me is many things..  As it is many things to others as well..

1. ST is like my comfort food.

A. Whenever I’m depressed or sad or tired..  I go stick in a tape…

B.  It keeps me sane..  Kinda like chocolate.. :b-day:

2.ST is family..

A. As many of you know my brother and grandma visit this site(I’m working on the parents..)

B.  At home when watching TNG every night I enjoy watching with my dad..  I even went to a convention with my dad..

C.  The movies I have all the TNG movies but the older movies I’m renting and I enjoy making popcorn and sitting down with my mom dad and brother to watch it..  (Sometimes I get to watch it with my Grandma)

3. ST is hope..

A. For me it gives me hope that one day people will work     together and respect each other no matter what.

Star Trek is all these things to me and more..

Sorry for rambling on but trek does mean a lot to me..

Can you tell I just came from Science class??? ;)

Edited by bevfanK