Sign in to follow this  
Omikron

Download Enterprise

It is illegal to download films so just wait for it to come out i have to.

:look:

Yes, it is illegal to download movies, however this has not been officially established with TV episodes.

If you can record with a VCR, why not download?

This may clear things up a little.

http://talkshows.about.com/library/weekly/aa011603a.htm

TV Episode, Movies or Music. It doesn't matter. In the eyes of the law it's all the same.

The site says that recording is fine, so what's wrong with downloading?  I'd record, but VHS takes up too much space.  VHS, CD, same thing, different format.

THis section of that article covers your question:

Is it legal to trade or sell the tape that you recorded on your home recorder?

No, you do not own the rights to the material, and may not transfer the material to another person. While you may find people on the Internet who are trading tapes, this practice is not legal.

Of course it depends on where you live. If you are outside the States, the laws could be different. Here is a excerpt of an article regarding Canadian laws:

On March 19, 1998, Part VIII of Canada's Copyright Act dealing with private copying legalized, "copying of sound recordings of musical works onto audio recording media for the private use of the person who makes the copy (referred to as 'private copying')."

Downloading music is not illegal in Canada but I'm not sure it tv programs would be the same.

Edited by Takara_Soong

Again, I see no difference between recording and downloading, either way, you obtain the episode.  Why does't matter how?

You may see no difference but the law does. When I buy a cd at the store I am allowed to make a back-up copy for my personal use. That way if the original is damaged I have my back up copy. That is legal. The same applies to DVDs and games. Why does that apply? Because I bought the license to that product so I have the right to protect it from damage.

If I make that back up copy then loan it to you or give it to you then I have violated that license and committed a crime in doing so.

When you make a VHS tape of something on your TV you have that legal right, when you download a copy of something that someone else copied then you have violated the law. By your logic I could go and download music from the internet and justify it by saying "but I taped it off the radio first and that's allowed so why can't I also download the songs"?

If you are against the downloading of movies then you have to be against the downloading of TV episodes as well. There is no difference, the movies that are downloaded are also played on TV (HBO, PPV or other network) so if you could tape them from TV then why not be able to download them as well (by your logic)?

Ok i guess i was wrong. Thanks for correcting me because i'll start downloading them now. :laugh::look: :(

:look: