Sign in to follow this  
Kor37

Man Allegedly Attacks Speed Camera With Pick-Axe

Man allegedly attacks speed camera with pickax

GLENDALE, Ariz. -A 26-year-old man faces criminal charges after being accused of using a pickax to attack a speed enforcement camera recently installed along a Phoenix-area freeway.

The state Department of Public Safety said Travis Munroe Townsend was arrested and booked into jail Thursday on a charge of felony damage and misdemeanor counts of interference with a traffic control device and criminal trespass.

The DPS said a motorcycle officer parked under an overpass heard loud banging noises and saw a man swinging a pickax at a stationary camera late Wednesday night.

According to DPS, the camera wasn't damaged but it needed a new protective cover.

A DPS spokesman did not immediately respond when asked whether Townsend has an attorney.

:)

Who here honestly hasn't thought about doing that to a Big Brother speed or red light camera? Those things exist for 1 reason,revenue enhancement,not public safety, public safety my be a by-product of the cameras but nothing else.

Who here honestly hasn't thought about doing that to a Big Brother speed or red light camera? Those things exist for 1 reason,revenue enhancement,not public safety, public safety my be a by-product of the cameras but nothing else.

I don't know about that. I do think they bring in a great deal of revenue, but the cameras still create a safe intersection. A person driving up to the red light may not care about other cars around him, but he does care about his wallet and getting a ticket. It's another selfish person who just cares about a ticket, and not others that he could get in an accident with.

Indeed! Some black spray paint onto the lens of the camera would have been a lot quicker and quieter....... :)

Hey, doesn't the RikerChick family live in Phoenix?

Germany has had such cameras a lot longer than the US has. I can't vouch for this method, but according to a colleague from there if you spray Pam (the cooking ingredient) on your license plates the cameras can't read it.

Edited by Lt. Van Roy