Sign in to follow this  
Captain Jean-Luc Picard

Bringing Data back...

OK, we've seen Data damaged, so we know he's not invincible. Near the end of NEMESIS, Data uses the emergency transport device to beam Picard over to the Enterprise, then fires his phaser into the radiation weapon. We see a bright flash as Data is blown backward, then the Schimitar explodes. I've seen the transporter effect, and I just don't think there was time to beam Data off the ship. Besides, who, other than Sela, would be interrested in enterring such a dangerous conflict to retrieve an android?

With all this said, let's assume for the moment that Trek XI will be TNG and that Data woud be brought back, but only as a B-Plot so as to not repeat ST-3. So, how would you have Data brought back?

Me, I'd have B4 develope into a Data-like character, but still be B4. I'd either go for that idea or say that Data's program itself some how accompanied Data's memories into B4. However, B4's neural net is too simplistic to support Data's programming, so a new android body must be aquired before Data degrades into nothing within B4. The B-Plot could be Geordi and Crusher ask Riker to swing by Earth and collect Lore's parts so that Data can be downloaded from B4 before his program degrades to nothing. This could make for an excellent B-Plot while the A-Plot could be the Romulans.

Anywho, this is a thread for the Data fans.

How would you bring Data back, and if Data were officially dead, what would you have happen to B4?

Stardate:213745.9

I had an idea for this and here it is:

In the next movie lets say we take CJLP thing about them getting Lore's parts.But before that happens Geordi is working on B4 when he hears Data's voice in his head.Data is telling him how put his program into lore to bring him back.We dont know how Data can communicate with Geordi.Lets jsut assume for a minute he just does.

I think it would kinda make a good movie.

Stardate:213745.9

I had an idea for this and here it is:

In the next movie lets say we take CJLP thing about them getting Lore's parts.But before that happens Geordi is working on B4 when he hears Data's voice in his head.Data is telling him how put his program into lore to bring him back.We dont know how Data can communicate with Geordi.Lets jsut assume for a minute he just does.

I think it would kinda make a good movie.

lol :blink:

How about they make a new movie in which we see Data at the begginging, and he says "It seems that a temporal anomaly has changed the past, events are not what they were... in fact, I was dead... but not anymore!" Luckily this would erase B4's presence! Of course, Worf is there with no reason to be back as always. Beverly just happens to be visiting, and uh, Riker is back because he chickened out his command at the last moment... good ol' predictable Riker. And while we're at it, why don't we throw in Denise Crosby as her grand-daughter. It seems that her daughter Sela had a double self in another timeline, who had to go to the past and supposedly die to save the timeline, but she doesn't die. Instead, she is captured by the Maquis. She is killed while trying to escape, but she had a daughter with one of the Maquis. Sela's daugher, the grand-daugher of Tasha, comes to be the one-thrid Romulan, two-thirds Human character played by Crosby. Oh, and Wesley is back again, just like in Nemesis, but we still never find out why or how! Who wouldn't love this movie!

I don't think that the parts of Lore exist any more. And then he was a very bad character, he had a wrong personality. There are two possibilities:

1. B 4 could be more similar to Data- but I don't think that it could really happen,

2. Before the explosion of the Scimitar, the Romulan ship has transported to board Data.

bye

star rose

I don't think that the parts of Lore exist any more. And then he was a very bad character, he had a wrong personality. There are two possibilities:

I think they'd study Lore's parts rather than destroy them. As for having a bad personallity, I've heard this often. Here's an idea: What if he wasn't malfunctioning, what if Soong made Lore too perfect in that Lore was able to choose to be bad?

1. B4 could be more similar to Data- but I don't think that it could  really happen,

Geordi said that B4 & Data are identical except for B4's less identical neural pathways.

2. Before the explosion of the Scimitar, the Romulan ship has transported to board Data.

bye

star rose

Keep in mind that both Romulan vessels were crippled. It's possible that someone like Sela had a cloaked Romulan Warbird that beamed Data off the Schimitar as it exploded, but I doubt it.

I think that they have brought back a character once already. This time just let it be. Data is dead. Sure, it sucks, but it's true. I think that if they try to bring him back it would be even more corny than the Spock resurrection. Just let it be.

Well, actually, Spocks re-birth was not that corny.

The Genesis effect was a logical way for Spock to return but unfortunately Data was not so lucky, as much as I would like to see his return a resurrection of him would be corny imo. If it is revealed someday that he had been beamed away from danger at the last microsecond I would first cheer then roll my eyes.

Guest Ktrek

This may be a stupid way to bring Data back but we know that holograms can be sentient and also have the ability to leave the holodeck. What if the hologram programed to look like Data had his programming uploaded to it? It might make Data a little more restricted but it would still be Data only with a holographic body but just as real. He could even continue to grow just as the Doctor on Voyager had the capacity to exceed his programming. Since the Federation has the ability to program in real emotions into their subroutines Data could even truly "love" and get his wish to be more human! Just a thought.

Ktrek

Edited by Ktrek

Guest Ktrek
wouldn't it just be easier for data's memories to "wake-up" in B-4?

Of course it would but the question is would it be as interesting of a solution. That seems too easy to me!

Ktrek

It really wouldn't be bringing Data back, but here is a scenario I've been thinking about lately.

A group of smugglers, pirates, and collectors steal or capture the remains of Lore. When Lore is reactivated, his first intent is too reunite himself with Data. When the Captain of the Smuggler ship tells Lore that Data is gone, Lore goes insane and kills the Captain and tells the first officer to give him all information pertaining to the Enterprise crew and all other knowledge of known androids.

At Earth the Enterprise has docked for a few weeks of shore leave. By now B-4 and Picard have grown quite close and B-4 is even performing inor tasks in engineering. Beverly is also onboard visiting her old ship mates. Picard here tells Beverly that he is planning to retire from Starfleet, instead of taking a promotion he has been offered.

Lore pours over the information provided to him by the pirate intelligence officer. Here he learns of the Enterprise-E, Riker commanding the Titan, B-4, and most important of all, B-4's memory transfer with Data. Lore takes the ship into Federation space and intentionally into sensor range of the Titan. Captain Riker is obviously intrigued by the posotronic reading coming from the ship. The Titan follows the ship.

Riker contacts the Enterprise, and tells Picard of the situation. Picard requests and is granted permission to follow the Titan and investigate the ship.

When the Titan finally catches the Pirate ship, Riker orders the ship to be boarded. Riker and his tactical officer lead the security teams. There is very little resistance, until a security team wiped out after finding Lore. The Titan's tactical officer reports "an android of somekind", which Riker eventually figures must be Lore, and calls imeadiatly to the Titan to raise shields. The pirate ship now fires a massive barage of stolen weapons at the Titan, doing severe damage to the ship. Deanna does all she can, but Lore escapes with 20 of the Titan's crew aboard, including the Titan's tactical officer and Riker .

Once the Enterprise arrives, Deanna gives the full account of what happened. Picard decides to stay with the Titan until the ship can attain warp drive, knowing that the Pirates can't out run either of the two ship, the Titan needs their commanding officers onboard during the repairs, but they will need all the experiance they can to capture Lore.

When the two ship catch up to and surround the Pirate ship, Lore officially states his requests. He will turn over the hostages, in exchange for B-4.

I'm not totally sure where things would go from this point but Lore would end up upgraded B-4's positronic relays and load Data's memory. After Data helps Picard, and the Enterprise beat Lore, Data decides that he does not truely deserve to continue his existance. In an emotional discusion with Picard, Data says something to this extent.

Data-"For over 40 years, I aspired to become more human. I was able to do so because of my positronic superiority. Yet, I do not know what it is to be human still. But, I cannot see it to be morally right for me to take away the chance that B-4 has know. B-4 will have my memory engrams, my experiances, my life. Now with an improved body, B-4 has the chance to follow in my footsteps, in continueing to become more human. He will learn from what I learned, as a father teaches his son skills learned in the father's lifetime. I cannot take that chance away from B-4."

Data would essentially sacrifice himself for B-4. I think it would be a touching end, and give the Next Genration crew the finally they deserve.

Edited by Commander Ericks

This may be a stupid way to bring Data back but we know that holograms can be sentient and also have the ability to leave the holodeck. What if the hologram programed to look like Data had his programming uploaded to it? It might make Data a little more restricted but it would still be Data only with a holographic body but just as real. He could even continue to grow just as the Doctor on Voyager had the capacity to exceed his programming. Since the Federation has the ability to program in real emotions into their subroutines Data could even truly "love" and get his wish to be more human! Just a thought.

Ktrek

Only problem is that Data's programming was destroyed along with Data in the Schimitar explossion. B4 only has Data's memories and experriences, not his programming.

It really wouldn't be bringing Data back, but here is a scenario I've been thinking about lately.

A group of smugglers, pirates, and collectors steal or capture the remains of Lore. When Lore is reactivated, his first intent is too reunite himself with Data. When the Captain of the Smuggler ship tells Lore that Data is gone, Lore goes insane and kills the Captain and tells the first officer to give him all information pertaining to the Enterprise crew and all other knowledge of known androids.

At Earth the Enterprise has docked for a few weeks of shore leave. By now B-4 and Picard have grown quite close and B-4 is even performing inor tasks in engineering. Beverly is also onboard visiting her old ship mates. Picard here tells Beverly that he is planning to retire from Starfleet, instead of taking a promotion he has been offered.

Lore pours over the information provided to him by the pirate intelligence officer. Here he learns of the Enterprise-E, Riker commanding the Titan, B-4, and most important of all, B-4's memory transfer with Data. Lore takes the ship into Federation space and intentionally into sensor range of the Titan. Captain Riker is obviously intrigued by the posotronic reading coming from the ship. The Titan follows the ship.

Riker contacts the Enterprise, and tells Picard of the situation. Picard requests and is granted permission to follow the Titan and investigate the ship.

When the Titan finally catches the Pirate ship, Riker orders the ship to be boarded. Deanna requests to lead the security teams. There is very little resistance, until a security team wiped out after finding Lore. the Titan's tactical officer reports "an android of somekind", which riker eventually figures must be Lore. The pirate ship now fires a massive barage of stolen weapons at the Titan. Riker does all he can, but Lore escapes with 20 of the Titan's crew aboard, including the Titan's tactical officer and Deanna.

Once the Enterprise arrives, Riker gives the full account of what happened. Picard decides to stay with the Titan until the ship can attain warp drive, knowing that the Pirates can't out run either of the two ship, the Titan needs Riker onboard during the repairs, but they will need all the experiance they can to capture Lore.

When the two ship catch up to and surround the Pirate ship, Lore officially states his requests. He will turn over the hostages, in exchange for B-4.

I'm not totally sure where things would go from this point but Lore would end up upgraded B-4's positronic relays and load Data's memory. After Data helps Picard, and the enterprise beat Lore, Data decides that he does not truely deserve to continue his existance. In an emotional discusion with Picard, Data says something to this extent.

Data-"For over 40 years, I aspired to become more human. I was able to do so because of my positronic superiority. Yet, I do not know what it is to be human still. But, I cannot see it to be morally right for me to take away the chance that B-4 has know. B-4 will have my memory engrams, my experiances, my life. Now with an improved body, B-4 has the chance to follow in my footsteps, in continueing to become more human. He will learn from what I learned, as a father teaches his son skills learned in the father's lifetime. I cannot take that chance away from B-4."

Data would essentially sacrifice himself for B-4. I think it would be a touching end, and give the Next Genration crew the finally they deserve.

Where's Worf, LaForge, Crusher, and Wesley in all of this? Also, B4 only contains Data's memories, how would Lore get Data back? Perhaps Lore use B4's programming and Data's memories to re-create him? Personally, I think the story is too focused on Picard/Data, likeNEMESIS and gives the cast too little to do.

Guest Ktrek
Where's Worf, LaForge, Crusher, and Wesley in all of this? Also, B4 only contains Data's memories, how would Lore get Data back? Perhaps Lore use B4's programming and Data's memories to re-create him? Personally, I think the story is too focused on Picard/Data, likeNEMESIS and gives the cast too little to do.

I guess perhaps I do not understand how Data's memories could be separate from his programming. I'll have to watch Nemesis again but I did not get that impression. B4 at the end seemed to have something more than just a memory but I could be wrong.

Why do we need to ressurect Data anyway? I prefer to think of him as gone forever like losing a loved one. I think if you bring him back you take the honor, dignity and respect away from his sacrifice. In the moment of death he was the most human.

Ktrek

I agree. In Trek, sometimes you bring characters back like Spock or the Borg Queen while other times you leave them be like Kirk or Data.

As for Data's memories, memories alone do not determine who you are, otherwise if K'Trek had my memories, he'd be me. :P

Guest Ktrek
IAs for Data's memories, memories alone do not determine who you are, otherwise if K'Trek had my memories, he'd be me. :P

Now there's a scary thought! :lol: :grin: :P

Ktrek

Edited by Ktrek

Where's Worf, LaForge, Crusher, and Wesley in all of this?  Also, B4 only contains Data's memories, how would Lore get Data back?  Perhaps Lore use B4's programming and Data's memories to re-create him?  Personally, I think the story is too focused on Picard/Data, likeNEMESIS and gives the cast too little to do.

The Crew-Worf, Laforge, and Crusher would be in it, but have minor roles. Geordi could be useful in deattactivating Lore. Beverly would likely serve in character moments with Picard. Worf would probably take abackseat just because he isn't truly needed accept for Trek value, but he recieved plenty of camera time in most of the other movies. I don't think Wesley would be needed at all, really.

Lore and his plan- I figured that if Lore upgraded B-4's positronic relays, deleted B-4's memory entirely, then loaded Data's memories, Data's personality and character would assume B-4's body. As for Lore, well I'm not totally sure where he is, but I figure he still exists somewhere.

Focus-Well it would have to be focused on Data to some extent. The main trial of the movie ends up being about Data and his discisions. And Star Trek movies always gravitate to the Captain. That's just the way it is.

I do admit that it is similar to Nemisis in that fashion, but I really can't imagine another TNG movie being done with out Data coming up somehow. And if another film was done without Data being involved, it wouldn't sit right with me.

Edited by Commander Ericks

Where's Worf, LaForge, Crusher, and Wesley in all of this?  Also, B4 only contains Data's memories, how would Lore get Data back?  Perhaps Lore use B4's programming and Data's memories to re-create him?  Personally, I think the story is too focused on Picard/Data, likeNEMESIS and gives the cast too little to do.

The Crew-Worf, Laforge, and Crusher would be in it, but have minor roles. Geordi could be useful in deattactivating Lore. Beverly would likely serve in character moments with Picard. Worf would probably take abackseat just because he isn't truly needed accept for Trek value, but he recieved plenty of camera time in most of the other movies. I don't think Wesley would be needed at all, really.

Keep in mind that TNG was an ensemble cast, not the Picard/Data show. While movies 7-9 focused on Picard/Data, the cast got lots to do, even Beverly who usually didn't have a lot of screen time. My problem with NEMESIS was that the cast got so little to do, it could have been anyone in their roles. I expect TNG to focus on the full cast, not just 2 or 3 people. B4 having more to do than Dr. Crusher just isn't right... Oh, and for Wesley, in his deleted NEMESIS cameo, he said he was transferred to the Titan, the ship that Riker would be commanding. :laugh:

Lore and his plan- I figured that if Lore upgraded B-4's positronic relays, deleted B-4's memory entirely, then loaded Data's memories, Data's personality and character would assume B-4's body. As for Lore, well I'm not totally sure where he is, but I figure he still exists somewhere.

After Lore upgrades B4's positronic relays, deletes his memories, and loads Data's memories... where's he going to get Data's programming from? :laugh: As for Lore, it Data explained in "Descent, Part II" that Lore was deactivated and would be dissassembled, probably so Starfleet could study him.

Focus-Well it would have to be focused on Data to some extent. The main trial of the movie ends up being about Data and his discisions. And Star Trek movies always gravitate to the Captain. That's just the way it is.

That's just it, we allready had a Picard/Data movie. If we get another TNG movie, I'd like it to focus on Riker/Worf/Troi while giving Beverly & Geordi more to do.

I do admit that it is similar to Nemisis in that fashion, but I really can't imagine another TNG movie being done with out Data coming up somehow. And if another film was done without Data being involved, it wouldn't sit right with me.

Personally, I think the next TNG movie should have Picard as an Admiral with a cameo where he talks Admiral Janeway into transferring Captain Riker and Admiral Troi to the Enterprise. We'd have the focus on Riker, Worf, and Troi, while Geordi and Beverly get larger roles.

Edited by Captain Jean-Luc Picard

its actually quite simple

since Data backed himself up on B4, all u got to do is get Lore, reformat him, reinstall his OS and then get a parallel cable and hook up the two.. and then cut and paste Data-data files from B4 to Lore

and whoila youve got Data back again

i do it all the time.. it will probably take geordi about 3 hours as long as he doesnt reverse the polarity on the parallel cable when he hooks the two up

since Data backed himself up on B4,  all u got to do is get Lore, reformat him, reinstall his OS and then get a parallel cable and hook up the two.. and then cut and paste Data-data files from B4 to Lore

i do it all the time.. it will probably take geordi about 3 hours as long as he doesnt reverse the polarity on the parallel cable when he hooks the two up

Slight problem: Data didn't back himself up, he only uploaded his memories to B4 so his developement would be speadier than his own. Data's programming, what made him unique, was lost when the Schimitar exploded.

I'm with C.J.L.P. all the way in this topic.

I wish people will stop thinking of killing 1 individual to get back another.

Especially since B4 has barely get to do anything yet & many people out there are ready to kick him out just to get back someone for a short film.

Memories are just that, memories infos of past experiances, its like brothers or sisters or anyone having a chat about their life time. Nothing more.

It will not turn them into that person who told the story, it will only make the listener realise things if theres any not known before, so they won't make the same mistake or faults if theres any to make.

B4 will be a fine lad like his younger brother. :grin:

I'd say older brother but I can't, because B4 exist longer then Data so that makes B4 older then Data. :lol: ;)

sorry, got carried away there for the moment. B)

since Data backed himself up on B4,  all u got to do is get Lore, reformat him, reinstall his OS and then get a parallel cable and hook up the two.. and then cut and paste Data-data files from B4 to Lore

Slight problem: Data didn't back himself up, he only uploaded his memories to B4 so his developement would be speadier than his own. Data's programming, what made him unique, was lost when the Schimitar exploded.

it was a joke

it was a joke

Didn't come off that way. :lol:

Hello, captain Picard! I think that you have made an error: Lore isn't perfect, he has only the emotions, but Dr Soong didn't insert any moral conscience in his brain, therefore he isn't able to become as good as Data.

bye

Uh, Star_Rose.

C.J.L.P. "Capt. Picard"

didn't said that, it was the other guy "deagletime" who mentioned about Lore.

Check the quote names again :frusty:

Well, actually, Spocks re-birth was not that corny.

The Genesis effect was a logical way for Spock to return but unfortunately Data was not so lucky, as much as I would like to see his return a resurrection of him would be corny imo. If it is revealed someday that he had been beamed away from danger at the last microsecond I would first cheer then roll my eyes.

Really? When I saw it, I couldn't help rolling my eyes. It was weak. Especially when we first see him as a little kid. I found it pretty corny. And Data would be worse. "He beamed out in the knick of time". That's when I would start thinking that the producers need to be replaced. Data is dead. That is that. He should stay that way, IMO.