Sign in to follow this  
Jack_Bauer

The Enterprise Paradox

Okay, try to follow me on this one. Its a little confusing and believe me I know. the NX-01 is named for the shuttlecraft Enterprise among others. The shuttle craft Enterprise was named for the U.S.S. Enterprise NCC-1701 from TOS. Presumably, the NCC-1701 was named for the NX-01 which was named for the shuttlecraft...etc. Makes my head hurt just thinking about it. but its cool in that it sort of connects our reality with the world of Star Trek.

True, to a degree. By the way, it's Space Shuttle Enterprise, not shuttlecraft Enterprise. :lol:

Yeah, U.S.S. Enterprise NCC-1701 leads fans to have the real Space Shuttle prototype named Enterprise, which the NX-01 Enterprise is named after in the Trek universe. However, this isn't a paradox since the "Star Trek" tv shows and movies don't exist in the Trek universe. :lol:

What paradox? They time travel like I ride my bike to work - in other words, whenever it solves a plot problem, or generates one to be solved by an answer they thought of before. Eg. of conversation between writers: "Let's shoot a ship around the sun, that'll be a cool effect. What kind of lame excuse can we get to make them try this goofball manoeuver." " Let's force them back in time!" "Yeah, that's the one!"

But seriously, it's not that hard to understand, is it? A Leafs fan should understand it perfectly. They've built a name and reputation based on past glory, which was partially derived from an expectation of a tough opponent in the future by opposing teams and fans. And yet, year in and year out the threat never materialises. It's merely the possibility, albeit an imaginary one, that the Leafs might win a few games now and then that even drives the management to open their pocket-books and buy a couple of decent players - not enough to really play for the Cup, mind you. This poor investment in the future impacts on present performance, and yet the fans keep supporting them, deluded by images from the past clouding their vision of the future. The vain hope for a future cup exists only in the fans imagination, much like the Enterprise 1701 only existed the imagination(s) of those who named the shuttle. And yet, that hope drives the current incarnation of the Leafs (and Enterprise).

If only the Leafs could build a time machine, maybe they could solve the riddle of the Stanley Cup. But I doubt it, they'd have to waste money on useless, expensive, obsolete parts, then get cheap with the critical components needed to link them together.

P.S. Go Leafs! :lol:

Okay, try to follow me on this one. Its a little confusing and believe me I know. the NX-01 is named for the shuttlecraft Enterprise among others. The shuttle craft Enterprise was named for the U.S.S. Enterprise NCC-1701 from TOS. Presumably, the NCC-1701 was named for the NX-01 which was named for the shuttlecraft...etc. Makes my head hurt just thinking about it. but its cool in that it sort of connects our reality with the world of Star Trek.

I like how it all connects, but you just gave me a headache!

What paradox?  They time travel like I ride my bike to work - in other words, whenever it solves a plot problem, or generates one to be solved by an answer they thought of before.  Eg. of conversation between writers:  "Let's shoot a ship around the sun, that'll be a cool effect.  What kind of lame excuse can we get to make them try this goofball manoeuver." " Let's force them back in time!"  "Yeah, that's the one!"

Actually, sling shotting a ship arround the sun is/was a real scientific theory of time travel, unless I'm mistaken.

Anywho, there is no paradox.

Real Life - 60's TV show called Star Trek feature's the U.S.S. Enterprise NCC-1701. When the first re-usable space shuttle is built, fans send mass letters to NASA, begging them to re-name the shuttle Enterprise. This was a grand success. Now, in the new prequal series Star Trek: Entreprise, the NX-01 Enterprise would be named after that "Space Shuttle" Enterprise.

Star Trek universe - Star Trek never exists, space shuttle is named Enterprise, then we have the NX-01 Enterprise, and then the U.S.S. Enterprise NCC-1701 and it's direct successors.

Hope this helps.

Edited by Captain Jean-Luc Picard

Ok, I'm well aware that Star Trek does not exist within the Star Trek universe. And I know that it is not truly a paradox. Its just interesting to think about.