Sign in to follow this  
MoulinRouge

A question of classic friendship/sponsors email

Okay. First things first. I have posted many more e-mail addresses for ENT's sponsors each week in the sticky thread way above, "LEGIT e-mail contacts. " It isn't just the last post. There are new addys on the first page of the thread as well. I'm counting on you folks. :dude: They all provide access to e-mail forms and I have indicated which date episode goes with which sponsor. All it takes is a simple paragraph thanking the company for sponsoring the (insert date) episode of the UPN series "Enterprise. Tell them you appreciate it, that you will be more likely to consider their products in the future and that the money for the ad time was well spent. Say thank you. That's all you have to do. It takes so little time; it won't cost you a stamp and many of these companies are responding to my friends who are contacting them. They aren't all form replies either. Fellow fans, these e-mails are being read. MONEY TALKS. It could literally make the difference, especially with that infuriating Smallville coming up next week. It is especially important that the sponsore hear from us this week AND NEXT. I'll find the addys for next week's sponsors and post them in that thread. I promise. :dude:

Now to my question......is it my imagination or are Trip and Malcolm (in what little screen time they have) shaping up to be the most emotionally gratifying friendship that Trek has served up in many a year? I am so loving those two. :dude: I They're Bashir and O'Brien all over again. They are the greatest. :laugh: I loved it when Phlox told Trip "not to be offended" that the mutant Malcolm hadn't recognized him. That was a subtle acknowledgment of how close Trip and Malcolm have become. I don't think that redshirt #2 or Hoshi would have merited a "don't be offended." I love it when the audience is shown things as opposed to being told.

Edited by MoulinRouge

Red Shirt #2?! Who is this pretender!?

OK, back to Earth. Yes, the Trip/Malcolm relationship is great. It's one of the best things about the show, in my opinion. Their conversations are written well, in such a way that they talk about things totally unrelated to the mission/main plot, but still within the context of the program. For example, their chat in Shuttlepod 1 about this and that was really didn't advance our knowledge of the mission or the universe Enterprise is set in, but it gave us a glimpse of how crew might interact after hours and made them seem more human. Often, Trek episodes contain dialogue that is there only to push the main plot forward. Having these little side conversations really helps to add another dimension to the program. I won't go so far as to say it's perfect yet, but you can certainly see the relationships building into something deeper than what we've seen between a lot of characters in past series. I often think of Troi and Riker's supposed relationship. We were always told (as Moulin Rouge noted) about their past relationship and everything was based in that; with Trip and Malcolm's friendship, we can see it evolving, which also, I think, helps the actors to grow into the characters and provide a better performance.

We were always told (as Moulin Rouge noted) about their past relationship and everything was based in that; with Trip and Malcolm's friendship, we can see it evolving, which also, I think, helps the actors to grow into the characters and provide a better performance.

Precisely my point. I never felt any real depth or passion to Will and Deanna's relationship. I never cared whether they reunited romantically or not. Conversely, I cared a great deal about Julian and Miles on DS9, which I will always consider a superior series. We saw Julian and Miles friendship grow from the beginning of the series, when a somewhat surly Miles considered the overly optimistic young doctor quite annoying. Those two characters grew to care about each other deeply. I consider them the second classic Trek friendship after Kirk and Spock. At series end, when Julian told Miles that while he loved Ezri, he liked Miles better....I smiled. It was so sincere. :lol: When Julian talked a devestated O'Brien out of killing himself after he'd been tortured by Cardassians, that was one of DS9's best scenes. The treacly TNG never matched DS9 in my humble opinion. I can picture Trip and Malcolm becoming like that. The cool part of it is that TPTB admit that it was totally unplanned. They saw Connor and Dom together in one scene and realized that they just clicked. Plans for Trip and Mal to always be somewhat at odds with each other were file thirteened. Quite a fortunate happenstance. :lol:

Go click on th e-mails, people. I found them for you.

Red Shirt #2?!  Who is this pretender!?

OK, back to Earth.  Yes, the Trip/Malcolm relationship is great.  It's one of the best things about the show, in my opinion.  Their conversations are written well, in such a way that they talk about things totally unrelated to the mission/main plot, but still within the context of the program.  For example, their chat in Shuttlepod 1 about this and that was really didn't advance our knowledge of the mission or the universe Enterprise is set in, but it gave us a glimpse of how crew might interact after hours and made them seem more human.  Often, Trek episodes contain dialogue that is there only to push the main plot forward.  Having these little side conversations really helps to add another dimension to the program.  I won't go so far as to say it's perfect yet, but you can certainly see the relationships building into something deeper than what we've seen between a lot of characters in past series.  I often think of Troi and Riker's supposed relationship.  We were always told (as Moulin Rouge noted) about their past relationship and everything was based in that; with Trip and Malcolm's friendship, we can see it evolving, which also, I think, helps the actors to grow into the characters and provide a better performance.

Well said, Red Shirt Volunteer, well said!

You can be on my away team any time (and I promise I won't let you get killed)!