Sign in to follow this  
edmcgon

Coupling

Just curious if anyone saw the premiere of the American version of "Coupling" on NBC Thursday night. Also curious what you think of it.

I am a fan of the British version, which I have watched on BBC America. People often compare it to "Friends", but it is raunchier and funnier.

To me, the American version of "Coupling" was lame. While the script was virtually the same as the British version, the same jokes were not funny. Mind you, I have watched most of the episodes of the British version multiple times, and they remain just as funny on second and third viewings.

Part of the problem is the cast. The American cast is high on the looks scale, but low on the acting. The British cast is not quite as pretty (they are NOT ugly by any stretch of the imagination), but their acting is FAR superior.

This is all my opinion of course. I am concerned that maybe I have just grown too attached to the original and I am not giving the "remake" a chance.

According to one critic (can't remember who) the show is basically a sitcom where the characters jump in and out of bed with each other randomly. The writing is bad, the acting is worse and it's trying to be the next "Friends" but not anywhere near as funny.

My roomate watched the show and she was not impressed. I heard the British version is much better. I think its funny when a show does real well somewhere like Britain,American TV tries to duplicate it and they fail at getting the ratings they thought they would get. One thing is British TV (Actually most of European TV) is way more liberal than American TV and can get away with stuff that would never be shown here.

American TV is still very prudish when it comes to sex and nudity and yet in most other countries around the world its no big deal, some even have game shows where the contestants end up getting nakked!

My roomate watched the show and she was not impressed. I heard the British version is much better. I think its funny when a show does real well somewhere like Britain,American TV tries to duplicate it and they fail at getting the ratings they thought they would get. One thing is British TV (Actually most of European TV) is way more liberal than American TV and can get away with stuff that would never be shown here.

American TV is still very prudish when it comes to sex and nudity and yet in most other countries around the world its no big deal, some even have game shows where the contestants end up getting nakked!

Your post seems to imply that more sex and nudity would make the show funny. Since you're a professed nudist I hope you're not saying that naked people are funny.

Actually, clever writing, wit, and realistic behavior are the elements of genuine humor - in other words talent. We do see way too little of the latter in American entertainment.

Your post seems to imply that more sex and nudity would make the show funny. Since you're a professed nudist I hope you're not saying that naked people are funny.

Actually, clever writing, wit, and realistic behavior are the elements of genuine humor - in other words talent. We do see way too little of the latter in American entertainment.

I'm not saying nude people are funny (well I have seen a couple of funny nudist but thats another story)

I'm saying TV in other countries are a little more liberal about what they put on.I was watching a show about TV in other countries and this one British actor thought it was strange that it was not ok for a woman to show her breast but it was ok to show people getting shot in the head or blown up. He said in England its the opposite, he would prefer having their children see a show showing breast over a show that showed graphic violence as we have here.

Lets face it,America is still a very prudish place. Its bad to see skin and people showing affection,Its good to see death and destruction! very wierd! :lol:

For those of you that have a problem seeing nudity then please do not go to Europe,you'll freak out when you see the roadside billboards with beautiful nude women advertising bath soaps and other items.

I do admit alot of American TV need clever writing, wit, and realistic behavior,thats why I like watching the shows on BBC,they have all that and more.(I love British humor! :lol:

Edited by Klingonmike

The whole point of this thread was supposed to be about some tv show...which apparently isn't very good.

My personal opinion is that tv shows that substitute sexual inuendo for genuine humor are boring. Personally, I don't watch sitcoms in general because I hate laughtracks and trite characterizations.

As regarding violence, my understanding is the reason we have so much sex on tv is because of the outcry against violence...so they had to replace all the violence with something.

Edited by TheUnicornHunter

TUH,

When you brought up the laughtrack, it occurred to me: I don't remember if the British version has one. It may, but I don't remember it. I do remember the American version does.

I've watched the British version for the last couple years on BBC America, I always loved it. The American version stinks, it was the same plot & almost the same script as the first episode, they totaly destroyed with American version. I wanted to toss my TV out the Window, it was like a bad High School Play.