Sign in to follow this  
Vic

Commerce Secretary Determines Blue Crab Disaster in Chesapeake Bay

U.S. Commerce Secretary Carlos M. Gutierrez today determined that a decline in the harvest of soft shell and peeler blue crabs in Chesapeake Bay is a commercial fishery failure. The declaration is an important step in making watermen and their communities eligible for economic assistance.

View the full article

I live right by the Chesapeake Bay and most of the crabs we get now are from out of state. The Bay is a disaster because of overfishing. They need to put a ban on catching crabs for a few years to allow the crabs to repopulate. They did the same thing with striped bass. They banned catching them for 5 years and they came back strong. I don't know what they are waiting for.

I remember when I was station in Norfolk on the USS Harry S. Truman the water in Chesapeake Bay was really bad. I wonder if the water quality have improve since 2002. I hope so because that is a direct link to Blue Crab.

The Bay is a disaster because of overfishing.

So, if I understand the article in relation to your statement - in true government fashion - they overfish their livelihoods out of existence and we the US taxpayer reimburse them for it.