Sign in to follow this  
Kor37

Man Accused Of Making License Plate 'Disappear'

Man accused of making license plate 'disappear'

NEW YORK -New York authorities didn't see this one coming. The Port Authority of New York and New Jersey says the driver of a tractor-trailer rigged the front license plate of his vehicle so that it would "disappear" as he drove through a toll plaza, allowing him to avoid paying the $40 fee.

The Port Authority said driver Orlando Payano ran a cable from the license plate to the dashboard cigarette lighter inside the cab of the vehicle.

Pulling on the lighter flipped the plate under the truck. Cameras are used to capture images of license plates to identify fare beaters.

Police charged Payano with toll evasion and license plate destruction. He told the Daily News that he didn't have "any cable or anything" and that "it's not true."

I don't know why this guy went to all that trouble. You can now easily order a spray out of a catalogue that, when sprayed onto a license plate, will make it all glossy and impossible to be photographed.

Man accused of making license plate 'disappear'

NEW YORK -New York authorities didn't see this one coming. The Port Authority of New York and New Jersey says the driver of a tractor-trailer rigged the front license plate of his vehicle so that it would "disappear" as he drove through a toll plaza, allowing him to avoid paying the $40 fee.

The Port Authority said driver Orlando Payano ran a cable from the license plate to the dashboard cigarette lighter inside the cab of the vehicle.

Pulling on the lighter flipped the plate under the truck. Cameras are used to capture images of license plates to identify fare beaters.

Police charged Payano with toll evasion and license plate destruction. He told the Daily News that he didn't have "any cable or anything" and that "it's not true."

I don't know why this guy went to all that trouble. You can now easily order a spray out of a catalogue that, when sprayed onto a license plate, will make it all glossy and impossible to be photographed.

The Mythbusters TV Show bought that spray on stuff to see if it worked, as well as multiple other things that would make a car "invisible" to cameras and none of them worked. They even got a super fast funny car and tried to go too fast for the camera to get a picture and they couldn't beat the camera. The only way they were able to beat the camera was by rigging the plate to be physically hidden.

Yeah, that was a good episode. That show is pretty good at disproving claims that have been made by some manufacturers.

Wow...didn't know that! The ad even had a "picture" of a spray covered plate that was unreadable..... :elephant:

Wow...didn't know that! The ad even had a "picture" of a spray covered plate that was unreadable..... :elephant:

I have Mythbusters set as a season pass on my TiVo. If that one comes on again and I think about it I'll splice it up into smaller parts and put it on YouTube if you're interested.

I have Mythbusters set as a season pass on my TiVo. If that one comes on again and I think about it I'll splice it up into smaller parts and put it on YouTube if you're interested.

Thanks!

Thanks!

No problem. It's a few years old now so I don't know if it'll be on any time soon.

wow it does seem like a whole lot of trouble to go through just to avoid a toll, serves him right he has to pay a bunch extra.

i loved that mythbusters episode and laughing at the crazy things that people actually consider trying