Sign in to follow this  
STFA Pres

Opposing the Moon

I have heard through my research into NASA that there are plans to go back to the moon (returning man to the moon). These plans include setting up a permanent base on the lunar surface as well as an orbiting facility similiar to the ISS (International Space Station). Although these plans are not set in stone nor in motion yet, one of the biggest things holding it back besides the obvious lack of funding is public opinion.

What reason would anybody NOT want mankind to return to the moon? I'm asking for your thoughts...

I think it would be great to go back to the moon and set up a base and or space station. I think an observatory would also be a good thing to build on the moon. There are many possiblities on the moon, and we need to return and learn more information about whats out there.

What reason would anybody NOT want mankind to return to the moon? I'm asking for your thoughts...

I fear that many people in this country raised in urban or suburban areas have never seen a truly starry night, or confuse the moon with a street lamp. People are not inspired. If we only do what the majority thinks it wants done, then very little creative or innovative will be done. I think someone in government must assume a leadership role, move ahead with such plans, and slowly build consensus and find and share the elements of the program which inspire the imagination.

They never shouild have stopped going to the moon. There should already be a moon base there.

A lot of people feel that it costs an enormous amount of money for space exploration and perhaps that money would better be spent on improving the human condition. People need to be educated to understand that, because of population pressures and dwindling resources, space exploration is the best hope for this planet.

Since the moon is the closest celestial body, it is the perfect training ground for future longer-range missions. I think it is foolish not to pursue futher exploration of our moon.

Indy's remarks reflect many of the comments that I hear. I remember when the movie Apollo 13 came out I read a letter to the editor in the local paper. The man expressed genuine anguish that our space program has taken a back seat to other programs.

Now his comments could offend some but I so understood his sentiment. Our governments waste so much money because misguided efforts to improve the human condition are often wasteful and often make the situation worse. I suppose cash payments to drug addicts is the most dazzling of those wasteful programs.

I always counter that the science we've developed as part of the program has had many real world applications that have "improved the human condition"

I find it very frustrating.

I'd like to see the world space "powers" make a successful go of the International SpaceStation before they even consider building and maintaining a facility on the lunar surface.As for Apollo-style missions to and back from the moon,for research,why not?They should have never stopped.

Forget the moon. Let's go to Mars!  B)

hey we gotta start somewhere, mars is too far, and gonna be wayyy too much money to just throw away on a whim. we've gotta start small and move on from there.