Sign in to follow this  
prometheus

Alternate reality characters

There have been several episodes of Star Trek which have been set in alternate realities - present, past and future. Sometimes these have resulted from freak accidents; sometimes the result of timetravel; sometimes "created" by an aliean life-form.

In some of these episodes, past events have remained the same although historical characters have been replaced with Star Trek figures we know eg DS9's Past Tense. In other episodes, characters from alternate realities join the Star Trek reality eg An alternate Tasha Yar time-travelled back in time from her reality, into the past of the established Star Trek timeline, spawning a half Romulan daughter Sela who showed up in the established timeline; Admiral Janeway appeared in Endgame from an alternate future.

Then there are episodes in which we have seen the original timeline reality ie The Trouble with Tribbles, and then we have seen an alternate version of that reality whereby timetravellers have infiltrated and changed that reality - note for example the "line up" in front of Kirk in Trials and Tribbleations when O'Brien and Bashir replace two other brawling crewmembers for a dressing down.

Some of the concepts have overlapped. Take DS9's episode Children of Time and Enterprise's E2(E squared) for example.

I have tried to draw up a comprehensive list. I have not included all of the timetravel episodes because they arguably have not created an alternate reality in any way. When Quark and Rom went back to 1950s Roswell did they form the basis for the alien landing that we all know and love - or did they substitute the aliens etc that originally formed the myth?

Temporal mechanics - I remember it made my brain hurt at the Academy!

TOS: Mirror Mirror

TNG: Yesterday's Enterprise, Future Imperfect, Parallels, All Good Things,

DS9: Past Tense, Visionary, Through the Looking Glass, Shattered Mirror, Trials and Tribbleations, Children of Time, Time's Orphan,

VOY: Time and Again, Bfore and After, Year of Hell, Timeless, Shattered, Endgame

ENT: Shockwave, Twilight, E2, Storm Front, In a Mirror Darkily

Which was your favourite? I personally liked the Voyager episodes which gave us a glimpse of alternate futures/realities where, for example, only Chakotay and Kim made it back to the Alpha Quadrant. There we see Captain Geordi LaForge. Also, Endgame where we see aged crewmembers etc.

My favourite from the list would be AGT. It was an amazing episode and that was a perfect finale for the series. There were enough little changes in the past to really make you have to watch closely to see what was different. Of course, any Q episode is interesting to watch. My second favourite would be Year of Hell. That was a terrific episode.