Sign in to follow this  
Shrek

Seabiscuit

Who has seen Seabiscuit yet? I saw it this past weekend and it was great. I give it 10/10 stars.

Based Upon: The true story of the 1930s race horse, Seabiscuit, as depicted in the book "Seabiscuit: An American Legend", by Laura Hillenbrand. The story of Seabiscuit was previously the (fictionalized) basis for a 1949 film, The Story of Seabiscuit, starring Shirley Temple. Real-life jockey Red Pollard was replaced by the fictional character of "Ted Knowles", played by Lon McCallister, in that film.

Premise: This is the true story of a former bicycle repairman, Charles Howard (Bridges), who made his fortune introducing the automobile to the American West, and who owned a small, knobbly-kneed horse called Seabiscuit. Howard teamed up with a half-blind ex-boxing prize fighter, Red Pollard (Maguire), who became the horse's jockey and a former "mustang breaker" Wild West performer called "The Lone Plainsman", Tom Smith (Cooper), who became the horse's trainer. As the United States struggled through the Great Depression, people around the country followed with rapt interest of the Seabiscuit story, leading to his win of the Horse of the Year honors in 1938. (Real life Hall of Fame jockey Gary Stevens plays jockey George Woolf, who rode Seabiscuit in a famous race against an "unbeatable" horse called War Admiral; McCarron also plays a War Admiral jockey; Banks plays Bridges' wife; Corley and O'Neill play Red's parents)

Unfortunately, I have not seen the movie yet. I did see a documentary about Seabiscuit around a month ago. A very gripping story. I have no clue why it took Hollywood this long to make a movie about it. B)