Sign in to follow this  
Captain Bolivar

[S]Dyson Sphere?

Ok, remember the giant Dyson sphere that Scotty was found on by the Enterprise D? When I first saw the metallic globe in Enterprise tonight I immediately thought of that. Obviously there are BIG differences between the two, but I wonder if they could be related? They did say it was made out the same materials as the Osarian ship and the Osarians did use it for their purposes so I doubt it, but still...

yeah, I thought of the Dyson sphere too. It seemed similar but the interior was so different. and I think the Dyson sphere was a lot bigger. But there is a definite similarity between the two.

I thought the same thing but the Dyson Sphere was much more massive, about the diameter of the Earth's orbit around the Sun. But there could be some realtion between the two though.

Stardate:213712.9

Dyson Sphere was my first thought as well.Death Star wannabe was the second thought.Giagantic storage bay was the third thought.Turns out three times a charm ;)Alothough they had to use a hell of a lot of energy to produce that big of a cloaking field.

I also thought of the Dyson Sphere and the Death Star. The Death Star came to mind first, but only because I had been discussing Star Wars. I hadn't given the similarities much thought, only that the Osarian sphere reminded me of the other two.

My first impressions were tainted because I peeked in on this thread before I saw the episode but with the sphere being in an episode of ENT connections (if any) would be with the Dysons sphere, not the Death Star.

If you mean, is it a 'rip off' of the DS, I don't think so because the Trek saga has the Dysons sphere in its future.

I thought the Death Star was just a giant space station that happened to be sphere shaped. I don't recall in any of the films where it used an actuall star as a power source. I thought it just had a normal, yet extremely powerful, energy core.

I thought the Death Star was just a giant space station that happened to be sphere shaped.  I don't recall in any of the films where it used an actuall star as a power source.  I thought it just had a normal, yet extremely powerful, energy core.

Exactly. The Death Star was not a Dyson Sphere, but the "idea" of this giant sphere in space, I dunno, I think they had heard of the Dyson Sphere and tweaked the idea into a Death Star. That, or they just look alike. B)

Edited by Captain Jean-Luc Picard

I believe the Star Wars 'Death Star' was first seen long before the TNG episode "Relics" came out showing us the Dyson's sphere. I remember seeing "Relics" when it first aired and I was thinking: "That almost looks like the Death Star from Star Wars". "Relics" first aired in 1993 about 12 years or more after Star Wars showed us the Death Star.

So there really is no way the Death Star is a ripped off version of the Dyson Sphere.

Edited by Klingonmike