Sign in to follow this  
kahn

Any swimmers here?

Do any of you guys here regularly swim? I don't mean just knowing how to swim, rather have you swam for a team or keep up at it now? I swam for four years in highschool and know that I'm in college I'm beginning to miss it (especially since I've gained like ten pounds since stopping). Does anybody have a good workout that I could have?

I was actually thinking about getting that bow-flex thing, though I don't lift weights really. I should probably look at that though. What I really want is one of those eight foot long pools with a current so you just swim in place. You don't even need to turn around. That would be a great place just to think and get in shape at the same time. I wouldn't even begin to have enough money for that though.

:) My daughter and I go swimming during the summers at a local plunge, VERY strict rules Thinkingof_.gif unlike the plunge I went to

when I was a kid but still I get worked out and we have some fun.

My daughter (8) has a swim program she gets through school and she goes swimming every Saturday as well. She loves it.

Interesting topic for a Star Trek board. I'm a former competitive swimmer as well. I've been swimming now for well over 30 years and even though I don't belong to any masters swim clubs I still manage to average 3 to 4 days a week doing anywhere from 1500 to 2000 meters per workout. All freestyle now since I hated doing the butterfly. But I do throw in about 250 meters of breaststroke for a cool down after the main workout. The only thing I can suggest to you if you're looking to getting back into a regular routine, is to just set a distance goal and work on style and strength rather then speed. Once your stroke comes back you'll find that the speed will come naturally and the stamina increase will humble all the teens and young 20somethings. There's a good feeling to be had when some young jock challenges and their jaw drops when you set the distance to maybe 500 meters. Strength and style will beat speed anytime in the pool unless you're in the olympics.

I like to swim although I am terrible at it! I used to go to my university's pool as part of my plans to remain in competitive shape (for gymnastics, even though I am no longer competitive). However, I have great problems staying afloat, I tend to sink very quickly. And don't ask me to try to float on my back, because all you'll see above water is the tip of my nose briefly before I go completely under! When I was younger, I had a problem in swimming lessons(when I was 3) and my parents decided to wait a while before trying to teach me to swim again. You remember the scene where we find out that Data couldn't swim(in Descent)? Well, that was my problem, I'd sink to the bottom and could walk across the pool floor until I would reach the steps! I finally learned how to struggle, uhh I mean swim when I was about 9. And it is funny seeing me try to swim, above water I can dog paddle pretty good! and underwater near the bottom is where I can swim pretty good!

3 is a little to early to learn to swim IMO, I think you probably just wern't ready. But you could walk across the bottom of the pool? :wow: That's really surprising to me.

Well, from what the pediatricians said to my parents is that I didn't have a very high body fat percentage. I still don't, and of course muscle weighs more than fat. I remember only a little bit from the swimming lessons, and I vividly remember walking the bottom of the pool (not a long distance, but still...) I can't do it as easily, but I tend to stay under for a while and sometimes have trouble getting back to the surface!

I swim once in a while, but maybe in my case I maybe should avoid it. :oops:

Over three people in my family have died in the waters. One of them was a really good swimmer, but one day he sadly he drowned (I don’t know all the details). My Father also drowned and my Grandfather also {he at the same time as he was in the waters had a heart attack}. So they were basically all indirectly or directly related to the waters. So maybe I should avoid the waters.

It might be a death sentence for me. (LOL) But like I said every now and then I do swim.

Master Q

StarTrek_Master_Q@yahoo.com

Have you ever seen the movie unbreakable? Maybe that runs in your family or something. I am also a lifeguard and luckily I haven't had to make any huge rescues. However I have heard stories of people drowning including one of my dad's close friends a few years ago. It really makes me sad because I know that if I was there with them, I probably could have saved them.

i love to swim, not great at it but can hold my own, i love the beach though. i want to move down to NORFOLK, OR VIRGINIA BEACH. it would be awsome, i do love the water, it is relaxing for me.

I swim - it's the best sport ever, except skiing, which is tied. Actualy, no. I like swimming better.

Yeah I swim all the time! And not just from pools either! In the ocean, which is so great! I love it!

Now, i know you people from florida are probably like, big deal, she swims in the ocean, so do I. But I swim in the ocean in MAINE WHERE THE WATER FEELS LIKE NEGITIVE 30! No but seriously you should try it! Its really fun feeling like, ahh i can't feel my legs anymore, i wonder if I should get out now?

actually, i just went in today, not to bad, only about 40 degrees.

but maine isn't as cold as most people think, actually the waters pretty nice in august

I've been to Maine many times. My family is based there. Have you ever gone to Fort Popham to swim? I love that sand bar connection to the island. Great waves usually too.

Yeah I've been there!, not for a couple years, but one of my friends has an island and a house up there ( or maybe I should say down there) -lol, I have no sense of direction. I've lived here all my life and still can't figure out which direction towns are! I keep thinking Bangor is south and Kenebunk is north, but its the other way around! oh well, I'll figure it out someday ( I hope)

You don't even need any fancy equipment or membership at a gym to work out. You can do lots of weight training exercises using your own body resistance (i.e. sit ups and push ups) and for cardio you could take a jog around the block. I suggest that you look at a fitness magazine for tips.

Play Hockey, or ultimate frizbee. I know here you can just go to the commons and join an ultimate frisbee game with complete strangers and its a great place to meet people. Here, you can always find a hockey game going on, no matter the weather :laugh: