Sign in to follow this  
Takara_Soong

AMINA LAWAL SENTENCED TO BE STONED

The Hearing on AMINA LAWAL SENTENCED TO BE STONED SET FOR 25 SEPTEMBER 2003

The Nigerian Supreme Court has upheld the death sentence for Amina Lawal, condemned for the crime of adultery on August 19th 2002, to be buried up to her neck and stoned to death. Her death was postponed so that she could continue to nurse her baby. Hearing on her Execution is now set for 25 SEPTEMBER 2003.

If you haven't been following this case, you might like to know that Amina's baby is regarded as the 'evidence' of her adultery. The married man who raped Amina denied any wrongdoing and faces no charges.

Amina's case is being handled by the Spanish branch of Amnesty International, which is attempting to put together enough signatures to make the Nigerian government rescind the death sentence. A similar campaign saved another Nigerian woman, Safiya, condemned in similar circumstances. By March 4th the petition had amassed over 2,600,000 signatures. It will only take you a few seconds to sign Amnesty's online petition.

Go to the web page: Amnesty International

Thanks,Takara for putting up this topic.

I and every member of my family here at home have already signed this.I hope everybody here at startrekfans.net reads this and adds their names to the list.We really can help to make a difference and save this woman's life.And get your friends and family and anybody else you can think of to do the same.Time is important here,and the islamic courts aren't known for their patience.

Why don't they just do a DNA test to prove that the baby is that of the man who raped her?

The man denies that it was rape, not that the act happened from the way I understand it.

And I just signed the petition.

This is sickening that things like this still go on..I just signed the petition..Thanks for bringing it to my attention..Everybody on this site needs to sign it..Only takes a second..

Stardate:213710.8

OMG I cant belive they still do stonings!!!! :tear: I signed.This is horrible and and barbaric

Signed the petition and sent web page's address to my sister and asked her to pass it around.  Hope this helps.

Thanks everyone for signing and thanks starsinmyeyes for passing the webpage along. That's how I became aware of the situation myself. A friend sent me an email and I posted it here because I know that this is a community that cares. Every signature will help. Thanks again.

Edited by Takara_Soong