Sign in to follow this  
Captain Holland

Fear of Transport

I am watching Realm of Fear (TNG) and was wondering if any of you would be afraid of transporting. I know I would probably have no problem, but I would really have to be in a situation where I would have to transport to test that assumption. :clap:

I'd probably be afraid. Just like driving. I'm afraid every time I get in to sit behind the wheel. Highways especially unnerve me. But it's necessary. It's something I have to do to get around and everything. So I do it. The same with the transporter. I'd be afraid, but I'd do it. Because it's something I would have to do to get to where I need to go.

Consider the alternative: the shuttlecraft. Just as many things can go wrong in a shuttlecraft as can go wrong during transportation, as Star Trek has prooven time and again.

Well, I would only have 2 fears before the "initial" transport.

1. Does it scan my body, destroy it, then create a copy somewhere else?

OR

2. If my body is "taken apart" on the moleculer level, sent somewhere via energy beamed, and then put together - would my soul go along for the ride?

I agree with VBG. I might be a little scared to us it when it first came into use but I think that can be said with all new technology and that there will always be people who are afraid no matter how proven it becomes. Just as today some people have a fear of flying and yet it is safer to fly than most other forms of transportation.

I'm sure that I would be afraid the very first time that I transported..But. I'd be fine with it after that...I was the same way about flying..Now, I like to fly..

OR

2. If my body is "taken apart" on the moleculer level, sent somewhere via energy beamed, and then put together - would my soul go along for the ride?

CJLP - that sounds as if you think your soul is contained in your molecules. I don't know about you, but I also believe in the human soul, and I don't think it's contained in our molecules.

That aside, I'm with VBG - I don't want to transport in the early days, but later on, YES! I love to drive, but I'd rather just beam there!

I would be terrified of the transporter,and probably would only use it in times of emergency...

OR

CJLP - that sounds as if you think your soul is contained in your molecules. I don't know about you, but I also believe in the human soul, and I don't think it's contained in our molecules.

That aside, I'm with VBG - I don't want to transport in the early days, but later on, YES! I love to drive, but I'd rather just beam there!

Well, I know the soul isn't contained in one's molecules. That's why I was asking if it would just "ride the beam" over to the destination or be zapped to your body when it's put back together. :clap:

OR

Well, I know the soul isn't contained in one's molecules. That's why I was asking if it would just "ride the beam" over to the destination or be zapped to your body when it's put back together. :bow:

In the 70's era TOS novel Spock Must Die! McCoy and Spock have a debate about the subject of Soul transportation.It was very interesting,and a little frightening.Since the original body is,by Spock's admission,destroyed and a new copy made...what happens to the soul?If raised in the 24th century I would probably accept transportation as readily as i accept traveling in an airplane,and wouldn't be bothered by it.

OR

Well, I know the soul isn't contained in one's molecules. That's why I was asking if it would just "ride the beam" over to the destination or be zapped to your body when it's put back together. :bow:

In the 70's era TOS novel Spock Must Die! McCoy and Spock have a debate about the subject of Soul transportation.It was very interesting,and a little frightening.Since the original body is,by Spock's admission,destroyed and a new copy made...what happens to the soul?If raised in the 24th century I would probably accept transportation as readily as i accept traveling in an airplane,and wouldn't be bothered by it.

I thought I read in another novel that the destruction of the body didn't occur. Of course we are getting into the relm on non-canon here, but I remember reading about Picard encountering a population that had the same fears as CJLP. And Picard put those fears to rest. Might have been a Voyager episode too now that i think about it.

Ack, you're body s destroyed and replicated at the destination? :bow: What about the energy/pattern stream?

e=mc2 (hmm, superscript seems to be beyond my abilities)

I think the data/energy stream is your body mass. The question is, is the energy your body?

Ack, you're body s destroyed and replicated at the destination? :bow: What about the energy/pattern stream?

e=mc2 (hmm, superscript seems to be beyond my abilities)

I think the data/energy stream is your body mass. The question is, is the energy your body?

That energy better be you! Other wise, everyone on Star Trek are transporter clones! :bow:

I suggest you visit this site. It has all you want to know on transporters. I don't know that it proves what we are talking about, but it seems to suggest that you retain your original matter.

Stardate:213699.9

I would be scared the first couple of times i did it but after that i wouldnt be

I would prob be scared the first time I go into one, but I would get used to it and end up being a ordanary every day thing, as long as I didn't end up like Tuvok and Neelix in Voyager.

I might be a little afraid....but I'd still do it. Heck, I'd do it just for the adrenaline rush. :bow:

I would never transport myself. In reality, trasportation me would mean the destruction of me at my location and the instant rebuilding of me at another point. While I would be identical, the argument is that I would not be me. This is a rather philosphical view though, because although the original particle has been destroyed, it still follows the same wave and it recreated. Anywho, I would never do it. On Star Trek of course, they ignore this question of trasportation.

OR

Well, I know the soul isn't contained in one's molecules. That's why I was asking if it would just "ride the beam" over to the destination or be zapped to your body when it's put back together. :o

You guys are getting all religious on me. I've never been one to believe in souls. :devil:

As for being afraid of transporting. If it were a brand new spanking technology I'd definitely not try it until a bunch of people had gone first (or I might turn into the Fly.) If I was just flung into the 24th century where everyone acts like it's driving a car I'd be okay. But it depends. Does it feel really strange? It might FEEL scarey, eh? :bow: