Sign in to follow this  
TJ Phaserman

Woman overpowers thief with tea and sympathy

TOKYO (Reuters) - A Japanese woman and her six-month-old baby escaped unhurt from a knife-wielding thief this week after the mother calmed him down with a cup of tea and a chat.

The 30-year-old Tokyo woman was walking along a corridor in her apartment building with her daughter Monday when a man brandishing a knife demanded money, the Asahi newspaper said.

When the housewife told him she had none, the man barged into her apartment. Hoping to calm him, the woman made the thief a cup of tea, whereupon he put his knife away and began a 20-minute monologue about his life.

The woman then gave the man 10,000 yen ($93.34) and ran outside to call the police from a pay phone, the report said.

Police rushed to the scene, but the thief had fled and is still being sought.

:blush:

She is lucky that she and her baby is alive. 10,000 yen is not that much in Japan, and won't get the robber much.

Edited by Odie

isn't that 10 bucks converted to the dollar?

No, it is not $10 when converted. When I lived in Japan, for 3 years, the quick way I would convert in my head was to I would base 100 yen to $1. That would mean ruffly 100 yen = $1, 1,000 yen = $10, 10,000 yen = $100. This kept me from over spending, which is very easy in Japan. There was time the dollar was strong and I would buy more with my yen, and then when dollar drop my budget was very tight.

Edited by Odie