Sign in to follow this  
TransporterMalfunction

Captain Janeway

Captain Janeway clearly had many good traits, however would you say that she was an effective Captain?

Do you think that she changed for the better by the end of the show or did she lose her morals?

What is your view on this character?

Captain Janeway clearly had many good traits, however would you say that she was an effective Captain?

Do you think that she changed for the better by the end of the show or did she lose her morals?

Please tell me more about what you mean by her possibly losing her morals? Thanks :clap:

Please tell me more about what you mean by her possibly losing her morals? Thanks :clap:

Well at the beginning of the series I could never imagine her doing what she did in End Game.

I really can't say anything about her since during the coarse of the entire series nothing was ever reveled about her except that she had a fiancé and a dog. That (lack of info) tells me she is/was the most private captain to ever haunt the corridors of a starship that we know of. There are tons of things I would still like to get to the bottom of with her but it's only ever going to be told in novels and I doubt Ill have the time. The only thing I can say about her (again) is she reminded me of Janice Lester without the psychosis.

Well, I think Janeway's moras went off the deep end once in a while like in "Equinox", but for the most part, she was a very capable commander. As for "Endgame", there's two arguments.

1. Admiral Janeway alterred the future drastically by getting VOY home 16 years early.

2. Captain Janeway's future is uncertain, so she welcomes Admiral Janeway's help to get Voyager home.

Admiral Janeway was in the wrong, but Captain Janeway was in the right. That's how I see it. :clap:

I guess to me Captain Janeway always walked to the tune of a different drummer. To me she was always unpredictable. This is what I looked forward to about her. Some of her behaviors and decisions I didn't always agree with.....yet I could understand and respect where she was coming from. While I very much enjoyed Endgame, once more I questioned but understood her actions. She was a very controversial Captain in many ways. But I believe she always did what she felt was moral, just, and she cared very deeply about her crew. :clap:

Kathryn Janeway is a fantasic captain! Her courage, determination, compassion and leadership are inspiring. Against all the odds she is committed to getting the crew home. During the journey she faces many issues that challenge her personal ethics, as well as Federation policies. The Captian adapts to each new circumstance she finds Voyager in. Some of her decisions are controvercial, however when viewed in context it can be seen that Captain Janeway upholds the highest ethical and moral standards. Despite being many light years away from Federation space Voyager continues with Starfleet's mission of exploration and discovery of new life, expanding the limits of science and our understanding of the universe. Kathryn Janeway is a fantastic captian!

I liked Janeway quite a lot actually.She was a woman of action and a natural leader.When she made a decision she stuck by it,come hell or high water.I think she always had her crews best interests at heart and managed to keep her head and do a superb job in difficult conditions.The simple fact that she returned her ship and crew home relatively intact after 7-years of being lost in alien space,far from home shows what kind of a commanding officer she was.

Of all of the Cpatains so far that we've met (Not counting the Enterprise B and C) Janeway was my least favorite. That's not to say I didn't enjoy her and the show, she had many interesting stories in Voyager. I foung 11:59 to be a very interesting story and so was Work Force.

Hi there B)

Captain Janeway was one hell of a captain. She was compassionate, caring, tough when she needed to be tough and she really knew how to take control of a star ship. Janeway was completely devoted to her crew and she got them through some extremely challenging situations.

Her main goal was to get her crew home, even if it was going to take seventy years to get back to Earth. Even though she knew the odds were against her, she never gave up hope (although at times it was doubtful) and she got the crew home after seven years. I think Janeway was very courageous and I admired her for having to make so many difficult decisions. She was faced with many contraversial issues and I think this made her a stronger person.

Linda

I think she was the best Captain that has been on a series so far.

I am not bashing other Captains, the only one I don't like is Archer. This is just a comparison between certain traits of Captains.

Picard relied a lot on his postition of Capain of the Federation Flagship. Sisko had the entire Federation behind him. Janeway was out in the middle of nowhere, no one to back her up. They were alone. In that light you can compare Sisko and Picard all you want, but Janeway was in an entirely different situation.

On a personal level- Picard was nearly unabroachable in personal matters, he also hated children. Sisko was a father, so he understood children, but in my opinion he always seemed so 'high and mighty' as the Embassy. Janeway was, as she warmed up to the crew, quite approachable and seemed more human. She also was very kind to Naiomi Wildman, the only child on Voyager.

note: I haven't seen much of DS9, so I may have gotten the wrong impression of Sisko.

Janeway was compassionate, attmited to her mistakes, and when she did something wrong, she kind of beat herself up about it.

She also stayed stong in the seven years they were lost.

Janeway was a fine command officer,and a great character.I wouldn't go so far as to say that she was the best command officer ever on Trek,not even one of the top three,but that does not mean that I don't like her.

I think she handled her situation,being stranded 70,000-light years from home in Borg space,remarkably well.She made some mistakes,some bad decisions,some unfortunate alliances,but she also made plenty of good decisions.And she returned her ship and her crew home relatively intact after 7-years(no small accomplishment for any Trek commander).

Kate Mulgrew brought a lot to the character,and is one of my favorite actresses(and also a very lovely woman....my wife is soooo jealous of her,because she once asked me if I though Mulgrew was pretty and I made the mistake of answering truthfully).