Sign in to follow this  
TransporterMalfunction

Story Arcs

Now that the new season of Enterprise is underway and the Save Star Trek Campaign has got it's way with more story arcs etc. Do you think that such campaigns by fans with no television production/writing experience will lead to the eventual downfall of our Star Trek?

I mean, to save Star Trek is to assume that Trek is moving away from what it originally was, yet there was no story arcs in TOS. Hence, does this campaign consider that we need saving from the original Star Trek?

What are your views? Is fan power a negative force?

Did this "Save Star Trek Campaign" really have anything to do with anything though or is it just coincidence?

To be honest I have no idea, I was just using it as an example of fan power.

I find this quite an interesting topic and in my opinion I think that we as fans should leave producers to be creative becuase in the history of television it have been a trend that too much fan power leads to a dip in quality, just look at Doctor Who for a good example.

Later on today I am going to go lurking their site to see if they are taking any credit for the changes. My guess is they wont be, they will probably be more resolute than ever that more "work" (bashing) is needed to accomplish their goals.

If the "Save STar Trek Campaign" ever gets a foothold on Star Trek, we can kiss it good-bye. They may "think" they know what Trek needs, but I'd rather leave the franchise in the hands of those who have been educated and have experrience in their respective jobs. Sure, these "campaign" guys may be good writers, but it takes more than good writing to crank out a sci-fi show.

I think allowing "fans" too large a hand in the development of any popular show,or other entertainment format is not a good thing.Certainly,to them,their intentions are noble,but the problem is that we fans have vastly different opinions on what works best for,an example,on Star Trek.The men and women who earn a living producing Enterprise are the ones best suited to create a middle-of-the-road solution that will please the majority of the fanbase.Let them do their jobs.

I'm sure any comic book fans among you know what happened to the comics industry in the mid-90's when the publishers began catering to the internet fanbase.Superman was killed,reborn,altered....Peter Parker,the man we've known as the "Amazing" Spider-Man for generations was made out to be a clone,while some guy we only saw on a few issues of the comic in the 70's was forced on us as the genuine Spider-Man.And those changes nearly killed the industry.Fan backlash was immediate,and sales plummited,all because a small,but well-organized and vocal group of fans thought they knew best how to save a flagging industry.I fear it is much the same with Enterprise.

If you try the Search function type in the words you believe you used at that time and just be sure to set the search time frame to "Any Date". That's how I find a lot of old things.

Maybe we should start a Save Star Trek from the "Save Star Trek Campaign" Campaign lol

Hey, I suggested the exact same thing on another thread! :clap: Can you help me find which one it is? No such luck so far...

Never mind, I found it in the "new theme song" thread on the ENT board. hehe