Sign in to follow this  
Kor37

Police Say 2 Out-Of-Town Teens Pelted By Angry Oniontown Residents Aft

Police say 2 out-of-town teens pelted by angry Oniontown residents after YouTube videos

AP

Posted: 2008-07-04 15:46:06

DOVER, New York (AP) - Two teenagers who drove to Oniontown after a series of YouTube videos portrayed the hamlet as a run-down, backwoods dump were pelted with rocks by an angry group of young residents, authorities said.

The two 17-year-olds from Mahopac, about 30 miles (48 kilometers) south of Oniontown, suffered head and face injuries.

Troopers arrested a 17-year-old from Oniontown on Thursday and charged him with criminal mischief. Additional arrests were expected, police said.

State police investigator Eric Schaefer said it wasn't the first time out-of-towners were attacked by local residents.

"The biggest recommendation at this point is for everybody to stay out of there," Schaefer said. "Anybody that doesn't belong there, anybody that's not a resident, just stay out of Oniontown."

In one YouTube video posted in May called "Oniontown Adventures," three boys with foul mouths supposedly drive up to the town. While there, they mock the poverty they find - giggling at the garbage strewn along the streets and the abandoned cars in the front yards of trailer parks.

Other videos with different people on camera similarly depict the tiny community as the brunt of jokes.

Apparently, the town's residents are providing proof that the videos in question are valid.......

Oniontown is in Upstate New York. Many, including myself, are very proud of our hometown. We, Upstate New Yorkers, are very tried people who come from New York City to our hometowns just to belittle us. Upstate and downstate do not like each other. There are many time through state's history where upstate wants to break away from downstate.

Here are the video in question: Warning this video contains foil language. Please view with caution. Thanks!

Click for Spoiler:

Edited by Odie

Well, these teens were wrong to mock those people but they were right about one thing. That place indeed is a dump!

Kor, how would you feel if I went to the town that you lived in and tape the worst nieghborhood that is all in that town. Calling everyone, that would include yourself, inbreed hicks or worse. Where I come from those are fighting words. Oh, I am from upstate New York. There is more to Oniontown than their worse area. These people are poor, but they are still human.