Sign in to follow this  
Kor37

Gerbil's Escape From Cage Blamed For Accident

Gerbil's escape from cage blamed for accident

AP

Posted: 2008-06-18 15:17:10

SPRINGVILLE, Utah (AP) - Police say a teenage driver who lost control of her car while scrambling to capture her pet gerbil wasn't cited for an accident that hospitalized two people. Lt. Dave Caron said the gerbil escaped from its cage while the 17-year-old driver was southbound on state Route 51 Tuesday morning.

Making a grab for the fuzzy escape artist, the driver veered off the road and hit a stranded truck hooked to another truck by jumper cables.

The impact pushed the two trucks together, pinning a woman in between. She suffered a broken leg. A male co-worker helping the woman with her truck also suffered a broken leg. Both were taken to a Utah County hospital.

Neither the teen nor her gerbil were hurt.

I suppose that pulling over and stopping and THEN trying to catch the gerbil would have been out of the question?......... :lol:

Sometimes I think they need to raise the driving age to 21.

they have in some states, but states like illinois where the driving age is 16, which is a bad mistake, lawmakers are butting heads to raise the legal driving age to 25 or keep it at 16. illinois by my knowledge is one of the top 10 states that has problems with teens that get into bad accidents...

25 is just ridiculous. Heck, I signed the enlistment papers to join the Army at 17.

Imagine how many employees from 16-25 could not be able to work if they can't drive. That is 2-3 years after most graduate college for crying out loud.

What would have madre this more scary is after the crash the gerbil was still in his cage locked. But realyl the driver should have tried to pull over first in my opinon or made sure the cage ws secured.