Sign in to follow this  
Red Shirt Volunteer

The Segway

I'm just curious as to why anyone would ever plop down $5000 bucks on a machine that is way slower than a bicycle (max speed 12.5mph), weighs way more (83lbs) and can't be used in all places. Has the world gone mad? Although it's an impressive piece of engineering to make a self-balancing two-wheeled vehicle, how lazy do people have to be to purchase something that will get them where they want to go slower and at a way higher cost than almost any other method. You wouldn't use this thing over a long distance since it's so slow and you wouldn't even be able to hit its top speed in most areas since you'd always be behind other pedestrians who are walking at a normal speed (say 3mph, 4 if they're fast). I think it's really sad that there's a place in society for this kind of thing.

It's awfully easy to pass judgment on people isn't it? Truth is, we all live in a variety of circumstances on locales and what you see as lazy may be quite convenient for some people. Riding a bike gets you sweaty and you can't wear a dress...that's not too practical for a short distance to work. Plus some persons with health concerns may not be able to ride a bike. I don't need one now but I have been in places where one could be quite useful.

Well,I'm not lazy and I'd sure like to be able to afford one...

they look neat :clap:

Actually,I'd like to have two of them so I could stage Segway races!Twice around the barnyard! :dude:

It's awfully easy to pass judgment on people isn't it? Truth is, we all live in a variety of circumstances on locales and what you see as lazy may be quite convenient for some people.

I highly doubt it. How are you going to put away an 83lb weight and where are most people going to use it? It's too slow for the street and too irritating for the sidewalk since a rider would constantly be coming up behind pedestrians.

Riding a bike gets you sweaty and you can't wear a dress...that's not too practical for a short distance to work.

...you can't wear a dress? No I can't because I don't have any dresses, like most males. But a lot of the women I see on bikes on my way to work do wear dresses, so I'm afraid you're wrong. Besides which, anyone with half a brain brings a change of clothes for work. And it doesn't get you that sweaty if you pace yourself. I live in a very warm, humid place (it's been over 30 degrees every days for weeks and extremely humid) - many people perspire less riding a bicycle due to the movement of air over the body than when they are walking. So you see, it's very practical, faster and legal (which the Segway may well not be in some areas). Do you even have a bicycle? If so, have you ever used it seriously or just a recreational device once in a blue moon. I ride my bicycle to work every day, hot or cold, rain or shine (except for super heavy rain during typhoons, etc.) as long as I'm up on time (I sleep in about once a month or so). Maybe you should consider that there are many types of bicycles out there to suit different needs and different situations.

Plus some persons with health concerns may not be able to ride a bike. I don't need one now but I have been in places where one could be quite useful.

Like what health concerns? There are bikes with power assist units now that can help people who may lack the power to push a regular bike along. They take almost no energy to get and keep moving.

The point was that the Segway is a rip-off for what it does and nothing more than a gadget right now, so it seems like a tool for lazy people with money to burn. The price is way to high and it's too impractical to be useful.

My question never got answered: What is a Segway?

OK, I did a google search, and I think I found it. Is this what you all are talking about? If so, it looks like a lame excuse to not walk arround. Now, if someone is old, has osteoperosis, a heart condition, or some other ailment, and uses this for what would be distant walks, than that's cool. However, why would someone spend the money on this when they can just walk? I've seen these on TV, and I can walk just as fast as they went in the tele-mercial. Also, wouldn't a bicycle be more practical? I'm not saying these things are for lazy people, I'm just saying they seem like a waist of money when you can walk or ride a bike.

Edited by Captain Jean-Luc Picard

Check out the style. Cool helmets and all.

Nice lid.

Yeah, that's exactly what I'm saying, man. And yes, if it helps people with ailments that prevent them from walking fine, but how are they gonna stand up on that thing for long distances anyway? I don't think it really could be that practical for someone with a disability. Wouldn't a power-wheelchair be more comfortable? As a means of transportation, this thing is ridiculous...

And what's with the freakin' helmets? Look at the other pictures of people. Why do you need a helmet when you're going that slowly? Do you need a helmet to walk?

Edited by Red Shirt Volunteer

They might "fall off" and "bump their head", so they have to wear helments so the company can't be sued. Everyone's terrified of lawsuits these days, it's ludicrus.

Anywho, whatever happened to walking? Heck, if I have to get somewhere where a car wouldn't be needed, I'd just hop on my mountain bike with a waist-pack. If you're in shape and have deodorant on, you shouldn't have to worry about sweating. You only sweat heavilly if you have to go an extended distance.

Stardate:213685.9

There is no way id waste my money on one of those.I think that it wont be that popular and if it is it will die just like the scooter did.I dont know about the rest of you but i havent seen one of those in almost a year

Red Shirt,

I don't know where you live but since you use celsius instead of Fahrenheit I'm guessing it is outside the US - and you use the word typhoon instead of hurricane. My point was you can't fairly judge the whole world by the conditions of one particular locale - nor can you fairly judge the actions of others based on your own capabilities. Everything you said only convinced me that is what you are doing.

What's the difference if I live outside the U.S.? I've lived in 3 countries on 3 different continents so I think I have a decent range of perspectives. You seem more concerned with debating my right to make a post criticizing what looks like a fairly useless piece of machinery than actually addressing the point. Perhaps you could enlighten me with a few scenarios in which this goofy thing would be useful instead of worrying about my posting style as well as considering that I may have written it that way to at least present something for debate instead of some style lacking any necessity for a response. How's this...

What do you think of the Segway?

Here are some likely answers:

It's OK. :clap:

I'd buy one if I had the money. :dude:

I don't like it. :lol:

Thanks for the sermon anyway.

What's the difference if I live outside the U.S.?  I've lived in 3 countries on 3 different continents so I think I have a decent range of perspectives.  You seem more concerned with debating my right to make a post criticizing what looks like a fairly useless piece of machinery than actually addressing the point.  Perhaps you could enlighten me with a few scenarios in which this goofy thing would be useful instead of worrying about my posting style as well as considering that I may have written it that way to at least present something for debate instead of some style lacking any necessity for a response.  How's this...

It's OK. :tear:

I'd buy one if I had the money. :lol:

I don't like it. :(

You weren't criticizing the machinery. If you personally don't have need for the thing - that's a valid opinion. You were criticizing anybody that would use one and I disagree that any one that uses one is lazy - people can have any sort of medical condition that may make that preferable to walking. Or they may simply be tired. And they don't need to justify that to anyone.

I have a question for those that own or like Segways:

What purpose do they serve?

I look at these Segways, and I see them as a lazy man's excuse not to walk. Now, I try to keep an open mind about things, so please, tell me how you thing this piece of machinery can be useful. Like I said, I'll try and keep an open mind. :tear:

I have a question for those that own or like Segways:

What purpose do they serve?

I look at these Segways, and I see them as a lazy man's excuse not to walk.  Now, I try to keep an open mind about things, so please, tell me how you thing this piece of machinery can be useful.  Like I said, I'll try and keep an open mind. :tear:

Well if you've ever worked at a place where the nearest subway stop was still several blocks away and you have a lot to carry then riding would be easier.

It's mostly having to carry things that makes them useful - because they have side pockets.

I have a lot of postal workers in my family (they're not in the test programs) but its a great way to cover small subdivisions or apartment complexes without blocking traffic with that little truck.

And again, people can look perfectly normal but have medical conditions that limit their activity

How many meters or yards would that be then?

I live in a large city and you mentioned it might be good for getting to a subway station a couple of blocks away. Uhhhh, no. How are you gonna get that thing into the subway? Are you going to drag it through the subway between the above ground entrance through the gates then onto the train? No. You sure wouldn't be allowed to ride it around down there, nor could you since there would often be too many people. Do you live near a subway? I noticed elsewhere you said you lived in a small town so I'm guessing no, though you may have lived elsewhere at some time.

And what kind of physical impairments would prevent walking/cycling and yet enable use of this thing? I think they would be very few indeed.

As for the pockets, they only holds 10lbs or 12L of cargo, whichever is less. This is smaller than a fairly tiny backpack so it really doesn't carry much, does it?

As for justifying it - why $5000 needs to be spent on a machine that serves little function does have to be justified I'm afraid.

I have to say that I agree that the Segway looks like something to buy if you have too much disposable income that you just want to get rid of. As for people who are mobility challenged or have health issues, seniors I have seen who use motorized carts use ones more like this:

pict142.jpg

If you can't walk distances chances are you can't stand for long times either so I can't see anyone using this who has mobility/health issues.

What's the difference if I live outside the U.S.?  I've lived in 3 countries on 3 different continents so I think I have a decent range of perspectives.  You seem more concerned with debating my right to make a post criticizing what looks like a fairly useless piece of machinery than actually addressing the point.  Perhaps you could enlighten me with a few scenarios in which this goofy thing would be useful instead of worrying about my posting style as well as considering that I may have written it that way to at least present something for debate instead of some style lacking any necessity for a response.  How's this...

It's OK. :lol:

I'd buy one if I had the money. :tear:

I don't like it. :(

You weren't criticizing the machinery. If you personally don't have need for the thing - that's a valid opinion. You were criticizing anybody that would use one and I disagree that any one that uses one is lazy - people can have any sort of medical condition that may make that preferable to walking. Or they may simply be tired. And they don't need to justify that to anyone.

yes people have the right to do as they wish, buy one or dont buy one, without having to justify themselves. but i do have to agree that a machine like that one is for the lazy, or techno freak that needs the latest and dumbest. its a slow, standup two wheeled ride, leaving out the disabled, because usually that disability would be something that leaves standing out as well as walking. but to each there own.

For those who have not checked the link to see what a Segway looks like here is an image from the link provided by CJLP:

home_main.jpg

That would be a great thing to have, if the world were flat. Either out the front or the back door I would have sets of stairs to lug it up and down, so I say it's just a rich mans toy. Howeverin defense of the inventor, he has invented some useful items...

The "Next Big Thing" Kamen's latest project is creating a machine that can produce clean water cheaply.

The "iBOT" Stair Friendly Wheelchair

Making Science Cool

"IT"

I may have been harsh on the Segway, I can now see places where the Segway would be more than a toy.

My main beef with the Segway is that it's bulky, looks heavy, and goes slow. What if lots of people used them in the city? It'd be crowded fast. I dunno... If someone were in good shape, but say, has a heart problem, this would be a useful tool. I can see people needing this, but I just don't think that the general public needs it. Anywho, where I live, I'd be completely un-usable.