Sign in to follow this  
trekz

Illinois Dept. of Tranporation will pick up less roadkill on highways

IDOT: Less roadkill to be picked up along highways

Associated Press

3:34 PM CDT, May 30, 2008

CARBONDALE, Ill. - The view along Illinois highways for at least part of this summer should be beautiful -- for the turkey vultures.

The state's transportation department says it won't pick up as much roadkill left along roads because it spent more than twice the allotted $40 million over the winter on clearing ice and snow removal.

Dead animals in driving lanes and any deemed hazardous to motorists will be removed. But much of the rest will be left for scavengers.

The Jackson County Health Department says the roadkill shouldn't lead to any health risks.

IDOT spokesman Mike Claffey says the department has asked for $20 million in additional funding in a supplemental appropriations measure being considered by state lawmakers.

The new budget year starts July 1st.

Copyright 2008 Associated Press.

This just means more dinner left on the road for local rednecks.......... :blink:

They have made a fair effort in the past. Coyotes, foxes, etc do get to a certain amount first. Part of the problem appears to be the extra $40 million spent on ice and snow removal has to be made up somewhere. The Illinois legislature is a mess, the financial situation - deficit, outstanding loans is awful, the infrastructure is aging. So for now more roadkill will be available for our dining pleasure. :elephant:

Edited by trekz

Is that in the cities or everywhere?

That just seems funny to me - picking up all roadkill. I never really thought about it here in Florida - I see roadkill all the time. The state would go bankrupt on armadillos alone and I've seen many a family pet that ends up on the roadside - I think the owners might retrieve those however.

Big stuff - cow, horse, bear, deer will get picked up.

Does this mean that the state has been going around picking up all roadkill prior to this?

i drive by at least 6 corpses (the same 6 corpses) just about eavery time i go to and back from work. so no. not as much.

Does this mean that the state has been going around picking up all roadkill prior to this?

i drive by at least 6 corpses (the same 6 corpses) just about eavery time i go to and back from work. so no. not as much.

Well, at least you won't have to worry so much about dinner, TJ........ :elephant:

which is true because if i see a deer thats been dead for less than a hour, free food!!! lol

Are you serious? :elephant:

UPDATE to Story:

State roadkill pickup, mowing to resume

By Kartikay Mehrotra

kartikay.mehrotra@lee.net

SPRINGFIELD -- The Illinois Department of Transportation has resumed mowing grass and soon will begin cleaning dead animals off state highways, with the expectation that Gov. Rod Blagojevich will sign off on more money for the agency.

An IDOT spokesman says because the department was forced to spend so much on winter cleanup, they ran out of money for spring maintenance, such as mowing and the collection of dead raccoons, deer and other animals.

The department expects the governor to take action on a $20.1 million appropriation in the coming days. The Illinois House and Senate approved the measure on Saturday, the final day of the legislative session.

“We’re very optimistic it will get there soon. We’re starting to phase back into normal operations,” said IDOT spokesman Mike Claffey. “We still have asked that IDOT personnel drive their own vehicles until this is signed, sealed and delivered.”

Along with ceasing highway cleanup, the department had instructed all of its employees to drive their own vehicles rather than the state issued cars to curtail spending.

Claffey said the department needs the new money to purchase more fuel for vehicles before they can get back on the road.

The department continues to clean up any large obstruction which would have impaired driving, he said.

“We are pleased the General Assembly recognized the need,” said Blagojevich spokesman Brian Williamsen. “We will be reviewing it before taking action.”

Williamsen said the governor’s office has yet to receive the actual legislation.

The legislation is House Bill 5215.

END STORY

There will be lots of turkey vultures calling in to oppose this bill!

This is just an example of how screwed up things are in Springfield IL

Edited by trekz

dunno whether it was the way I read it but for a moment I saw IDOT as IDIOT and laughed. Probably my english sense of humour