Sign in to follow this  
Theunicornhunter

Um, Thanks for the ticket ..... driver saved by seat belt ticket

Driver gets ticket for no seat belt; buckles up; gets hit by driver running run red light half hour later.

foxnews

Half an hour after Tim Ignasiak was issued a ticket for not wearing a seat belt, his car was struck by a vehicle that ran a red light on an Illinois street, the Chicago Sun-Times reported.

But he came out of the crash unhurt because he had buckled up after he was pulled over.

"I didn't get a scratch on me," Ignasiak told the newspaper Friday, a day after the crash. "I'm happy to be alive."

The right front end of Ignasiak's jeep was smashed as it spun around in the intersection. He said he will never again get on the road without buckling up.

"It's a lesson learned," he told the paper.

I've been wearing seat belts for as long as I can remember.

My car doesn't move until everyone has buckled up.

In general it is better to wear seat belts. But when my sister was alive, she and one of my brothers were in an auto accident, where they were hit on the driver's side by someone running a stop sign. My sister was wearing a seat belt and was sitting in the passenger seat in the front. She went forward, hit her head on the windshield, but did not go through the windshield because of the seat belt. She had a contusion, but recovered. My brother, who was not wearing a seat belt, was thrown to the passenger side. He had lots of cuts, and a concussion but also recovered. The driver's side of the vehicle was completely demolished ( I saw the vehicle later). Had he not been thrown out of that seat, he would have been crushed. My sister may have died had she gone through the windshield.