Sign in to follow this  
NordicBearskin

DS9 Companion

After recieving the package which I was informed contained my copy of DS9 Companion, I opened it with eager anticipation. After all, it has recieved some great reviews from both fans and professional critics. However, after starting to read this tome, I can safely say that this blew me away and my went over an above wildest hopes. And I'm only on the first series!

3 things stand out straight away:

1) The size! This book is A3 sized and is about 1.5" thick.

2) The narrator has a wonderful narrative voice, clearly knows his stuff and, most importantly, has been with the DS9 team and been writing this book ever since the first idea for DS9 began.

3) The Companion is crammed with interviews (with everyone!), facts, figures, reverence points, titbits of infomation, special features (including a great atlas map of Bajor spread across the opening pages) etc etc.

I won't bore people with the fine details. Go here to find out more about this brilliant book but I would seriously seriously recommend purchasing this book if you can; this is an incredible piece of work whether you be a die-hard DS9 fanatic or the most casual of Star Trek fans..

Edit: I know this thread could be posted in the STbooks and Fan Fiction board but as it is not a fictional book set in the Star Trek universe but a highly informative guide primarily about the making of DS9, it deserves to be in the DS9 board.

Edited by Sasooni

And it weighs a pound and a half! :lol:

It's all true, it's a spectacular book and any serious DS9 fan must have it. It has everything that is missing from the special features disks.

I do have one complaint however; its index leaves much to be desired. The Captains Logs has a much better index, all fact and stats about TOS TAS and TNG are a breeze to find, the best the DS9C does is list the episodes by season including production #'s and original air dates, no names or places are present. Also the paper is a little like Bible paper (fragile) but I see why that was necessary to keep the weight down. Still, it was a great investment and I'm not sorry I paid the 40 clams.

I bought it 10/19/02. I was at the bookstore and had cash in hand, it was sitting there so I scooped it up. I probably spend a lot more than I have to by paying retail all the time but society has raised me to be an obedient little big spender. :lol:

Cool..Looks like a great book..I have the TNG Companion and this one looks just as good..I'll have to pick one up.. :lol:

Question please. TNG "Companion?" Is this different from The Captains Logs?

Yes, I'm sure that it is different than the Captain's Logs.."Star Trek the Next Generation Companion"..Revised and updated to include all of TNG TV episodes and all of TNG Movies thru Nemesis..It is a cool book...

By the way..I've never heard of the "Captain's Logs"...I'll have to do a search for it on Amazon..

Sure enough.

0743457986.01._PE30_PI_SCMZZZZZZZ_.jpg

I've never heard of the NGC till now, I thought the CL's were the only OS, AS, NG reference book. Guess I got another one to get. Thanks.

Here is the Captains Log book and link.

81793.jpg

http://half.ebay.com/cat/buy/prod.cgi?cpid...d=1856&ad=53983

And dont forget the Supplemental...

0316329207.01._PE_PI_SCMZZZZZZZ_.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/031...0306939-4763801

Those two books may be dated but they are a gold mine of easy to access reference material. (GOOD INDEXS) :lol:

I found a great deal on the DS9 Software Companion on the Star Trek the Experience Web Site..Looks like it's only $3.90...!!

ST: The Experience

Edited by spacetigger