Sign in to follow this  
Kor37

Man Charged With Throwing Candy At Police

US man charged with throwing candy at police

AP

Posted: 2008-05-12 14:18:22

DES MOINES, Iowa (AP) - A college student whose friend was being questioned in a hit and run was charged with assaulting an officer with a curious choice of weapons: M&M candies.

Sean McGuire was arrested early Sunday at a convenience store after Drake University security guards noticed the colored candies falling on the ground around the officer. When the officer turned around, an M&M hit his shoulder, according to a police report.

McGuire claimed he threw the candy because he was "sticking up for his friend," who apparently was the man suspected in the accident, the report states.

McGuire was released from jail Sunday after posting $1,000 (euro648) bond. A telephone call to his cell phone Monday was not immediately returned.

The more serious offense here is the waste of perfectly good chocolate!....... :)

When the officer turned around, an M&M hit his shoulder, according to a police report.

I bet that must have hurt.

Yeah, I'm shocked we aren't given a report on the condition of the officer. :)

I also assume the remaining m&m's were taken as "evidence.' You'll never see those chocolates again.

No sense of humor in Des Moines, apparently.

Edited by trekz

IT SHOULD HAVE BEEN ROTTEN TOMATOES. THEY DESERVE IT.

IT SHOULD HAVE BEEN ROTTEN TOMATOES. THEY DESERVE IT.

All the officer was doing was investigation an accident - ie - his job - and if you'd been the owner of the vehicle hit you'd be wanting him to do his job.

I'm with Kor on this one - chocolate was made to be eaten not thrown.

My brother who's quite a bit older said he took a swing at an officer many, many years ago when he was young - apparently his aim was impaired by alcohol and he missed. He said the officer looked at him and said "son, if you hit me and I find out about it you're going to be in trouble."

He said the officer looked at him and said "son, if you hit me and I find out about it you're going to be in trouble."

Implying that even if your brother did hit him it would be so weak the cop wouldn't feel it.

:) Apparently a good way to establish authority without arresting someone.

He said the officer looked at him and said "son, if you hit me and I find out about it you're going to be in trouble."

Implying that even if your brother did hit him it would be so weak the cop wouldn't feel it.

:) Apparently a good way to establish authority without arresting someone.

Excellent point TUH. It is possible to establish control and authority without arresting someone for such a silly, and admittedly, poor choice of conduct. The policeman could have simply had the person get out of the car and pick up every one of the m&m's. That would have been a fun video! :RC:

Teachers used to be able to establish authority and instill fear with just a look. This is still possible. Instead far too often, some policemen seem to want to arrest someone, on occassion with far too much force. Our jails are too crowded now to indulge in such power trips imo.

I've had a lot of things thrown at me, but never has it ever been candy.

If it were candy I'd open my mouth and catch it.

Maybe that would have defused the situation.

Bloody double posting.

Edited by Unadopted Angelic

If it were candy I'd open my mouth and catch it.

Maybe that would have defused the situation.

Everyone would have gotten a good laugh and it would have been the end of the whole situation.