Sign in to follow this  
Theunicornhunter

Gov't Report - Who Lives, Who Dies in Flu Pandemic

foxnews

Well, this is about as grim as it gets - deciding who will or will not get treatment in the event of a mass pandemic.

Some excerpts:

Who will die in the event of a pandemic? The very old, seriously hurt, severely burned and those with severe dementia, according to an influential group of physicians.

While the notion of rationing health care is unpleasant, the report could help the public understand that it will be necessary, Bentley said.

That's partly because members believe it's just a matter of time before such a health care disaster hits, she said.

thoughts? read the whole article

Grim but understandable. Which is something I never thought I would say. Then again, I come from a nationalised healthcare, so there aren't the poor who have limited acess to healthcare. That said In extreme cases I can understand the battlefield protociol, help those who have a quick turnaround time so they too can help others. (At least thats the way I think.)

There could however be misuse of the system and the protocols, which is both human and very worrying. Some doctors, may end up with God complex's making decisions on who lives and who dies, its never something you should put in a human beings hands. I am unsure as to whether we are cut out for that kind of descision making.