Sign in to follow this  
Kor37

300 -Pound Inmate Complains Ark. Jail Doesn't Feed Him Well

300-pound inmate complains Ark. jail doesn't feed him well

AP

Posted: 2008-04-27 17:57:16

BENTONVILLE, Ark. (AP) - An inmate awaiting trial on a murder charge is suing the county, complaining he has lost more than 100 pounds because of the jailhouse menu.

Broderick Lloyd Laswell says he isn't happy that he's down to 308 pounds after eight months in the Benton County jail. He has filed a federal lawsuit complaining the jail doesn't provide inmates with enough food.

According to the suit, Laswell weighed 413 pounds when he was jailed in September. Police say he and a co-defendant fatally beat and stabbed a man, then set his home on fire.

"On several occasions I have started to do some exercising and my vision went blurry and I felt like I was going to pass out," Laswell wrote in his complaint. "About an hour after each meal my stomach starts to hurt and growl. I feel hungry again."

But Laswell then goes on to complain that he undertakes little vigorous activity.

"If we are in a small pod all day (and) do next to nothing for physical exercise, we should not lose weight," the suit says. "The only reason we lost weight in here is because we are literally being starved to death."

The suit also asks that the county be ordered to serve hot meals. The jail has served only cold food for years.

The meals, provided through Aramark Correctional Institution Services, average 3,000 calories a day, jail Capt. Hunter Petray told The Morning News of northwest Arkansas for a story Saturday.

A typical Western diet consists of 2,000 to 3,000 calories a day.

Laswell's suit was filed without a lawyer in U.S. District Court in Fayetteville.

:angry: :eek::laugh:

Look, when you're in prison, you're fed the same as everyone else. It's not the prison's fault you're overweight and accustom to larger portions. It's your own fault to be in prison and overweight, learn to live with it. Just lay down in your cell and sleep it off.

The FDA says 3000 calories is adequate to maintain a relatively normal person's weight. Granted this guy started out waaaaay heavier than normal, and bigger people do need more calories to maintain larger weights, but once he slims down he should have no problem.

Granted it is uncomfortable, but come on! The guy is in prison on a murder charge! I could give a rat's *butt* about his comfort.

Maybe he needs to ask to be transferred to the OCB Correctional Facility: Old Country Buffet Correctional Facility. :angry:

Yeah, he is in jail and a criminal and should pay for his crimes, but doing the math it shows he has been losing about 4 lbs a week. Medically it is only considered safe to loose 1 1/2 to 2 lbs per week otherwise there will be other possible health concerns (This comes from the licensed Nutritionist that I see as well as my doctor).