Sign in to follow this  
Theunicornhunter

What will you give up first - and give up last.

Mys sister and I were discussing gas prices, food prices etc this morning and what people are and are not giving up to meet the increasing prices.

Interestingly, my sister read that people said they wouldn't give up video games, cable and cell phones. I thought that was sad - our younger generation are entertainment junkies - and when I say younger - I know a couple of four year olds with technology addiction - what do you call those handheld games (gameboy?)

Anyway, entertainment tecnology is the first thing I downgraded or cut back on. The other night I came home from work and actually looked forward to finishing a book. As a member of the older than dirt club I remember life before internet and cell phones - it is possible to live without those things.

I'm not sure what comes next but it will have to be something because I already tried to live pretty frugally but something will have to give - it's probably going to be cutting back on the a/c and even more on the "prepared foods" - I can make homemade bread (and that includes grinding my own wheat)

Communication and books are going to be last. Prepared food as well. I don't have a stove or oven to cook anything with, only a microwave.

I don't have a games console, I don't go out o clubs or the movies, I don't have holidays, I don't do cafes or eat out. I stay at home. I write, I download illegal music, cause I can't afford to do otherwise, and I barely buy any clothes these days either.

This month after bills and not including taxes, I will be left with £36 a week. I am looking for a better paying job. But hope is dimming out.