Sign in to follow this  
prometheus

Planned obsolescence

I am sick to the teeth of shelling out good money after bad to get the "next best thing" when it comes to Star Trek videos/dvds.

First there were the VHS format videos; then the dvds; then HD DVDs. Now Star Trek Remastered Season 2 is only coming out in dvd format. I have the first season which is dvd on one side and HD dvd on the other, and was an expensive treat in the adult world where new tiles for the bathroom or a service for the car come first. But I (thankfully!!!) did not buy a hd dvd player. I waited to see which format HD DVD or BLU-RAY would come out on top and I was wise, for it was BLU-RAY. So I obviously bought a BLU-RAY player which won't play my tos remastered hd dvds! I am stuck with a set which I cannot watch in HD. Now Season 2 is in dvd format only but Paramount HAVE committed to bringing out all of the series eventually on BLU-RAY which is obviously the ultimate format which is what everybody wants. The best. So all I can do is not buy the dvd versions, await the BLU-RAY versions and see if I can sell my dvd/ HD DVD verions at some stage for a loss, sigh...

I think that sometimes it is deliberate - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Planned_obsolescence

It is not fair...

I hear you, it totally sucks, (and isn't reserved for Trek only.) I'm sticking with my crappy TOS first release editions DVD sets, at least they are uncut so I have all I need.

As for all the other Trek series, again I have them all, every single season of every series and that's IT; no repackaging they now put out can tempt me to repurchase them.

I feel the same way. I got the first season remastered discs. Now I have to decide whether to wait for the Blu Ray version of the 2nd season or just buy the regular version when it comes out....... :wow:

I feel the same way. I got the first season remastered discs. Now I have to decide whether to wait for the Blu Ray version of the 2nd season or just buy the regular version when it comes out....... :wow:

Does this mean you have a HD DVD player and a BLU-RAY player? I might just buy a HD DVD player if they are reduced to like 50 quid or something - I reckon that they are gonna start going really cheap now that there will be no more of them etc.

Does this mean you have a HD DVD player and a BLU-RAY player? I might just buy a HD DVD player if they are reduced to like 50 quid or something - I reckon that they are gonna start going really cheap now that there will be no more of them etc.

No. I just have a Blu Ray player. The 2nd Season will be coming out in regular dvd first, which can be played on the Blu Ray followed whenever by the Blu Ray version