Sign in to follow this  
fredbroca

Starship safety

I have watched star trek 1 many times but for the first time I saw when they went to red alert in the wormhole not only did the crew put the safety arm rests over their legs but I also noticed the head rests on the chair go up. I could not beleve that I never saw that but my question is where did all this safety equipment go to? Yes the arm rests are in the rest of the tos movies but next gen lost this and like I said before this is the first time I have seen the head rests go up. You would think they would have kept the leg rests they are kind of like seat belts. What do you think?

Headrest's? I missed those. About the "seatbelts", those would be a good idea on earlier starships that have primitive, what are they called? ... "vibration reducing" do-hickeys? But by the time of TNG those system's are advanced enough to eliminate the need for seat restraints. That is the main reason I am glad they deleted the scene of Picards seat restraints from NEM, it would been a bad joke.

The seat-belt-arms and rising head rests were only used durring the TOS movie era and on old ships. The original Enterprise and the Reliant had this "safety" feature. When the Excelsior was first launched, and the Enterprise-A had this feature before it's refit. The Stargazer had this refit even when Picard commanded it, but one could argue that the ship was old and never had a major refit in terms of the ship's interrior. Anywho, if you guys noticed this, a lot of guys died from exploding consoles becuase they were strapped into their chairs. I think this is why the safety chairs got phased out. :bow:

The safety that I wonder about isn't for the bridge officers, it's the families on the ship. Sure, they encounter dangers every episode but what about when they're planning on going on a mission that they KNOW is going to be dangerous. (like engaging the Borg or the Romulans). Shouldn't they drop some of the kids off at a starbase or something?

If they go up against the Borg or Romulans, I doubt they have time to stop by a Starbase. It's far more likely that the families stay on the ship knowing the risks. Just my opinion though. My question is this: when the ship shakes violently from weapons fire, space turbulance, colliding with another ship, whatever... how come all their stuff doesn't get destroyed, yet we see the crew fly arround like rag dolls? Also, what about the kids, do they just get flung arround the crew quarters? :bow:

If they go up against the Borg or Romulans, I doubt they have time to stop by a Starbase.  It's far more likely that the families stay on the ship knowing the risks.  Just my opinion though.  My question is this: when the ship shakes violently from weapons fire, space turbulance, colliding with another ship, whatever... how come all their stuff doesn't get destroyed, yet we see the crew fly arround like rag dolls?  Also, what about the kids, do they just get flung arround the crew quarters? :bow:

Stardate:213671.9

I imagine thier stuff does get destoryed but that is what replicators are for :)

Alterego the ""vibration reducing" do-hickeys" are the inertial dampeners...... and i dont watch much TOS, so i dont know.... but it sounds impractible to me (if thats the word!)

If they go up against the Borg or Romulans, I doubt they have time to stop by a Starbase.  It's far more likely that the families stay on the ship knowing the risks.  Just my opinion though.  My question is this: when the ship shakes violently from weapons fire, space turbulance, colliding with another ship, whatever... how come all their stuff doesn't get destroyed, yet we see the crew fly arround like rag dolls?  Also, what about the kids, do they just get flung arround the crew quarters? :bow:

Stardate:213671.9

I imagine thier stuff does get destoryed but that is what replicators are for B)

So much for stuff having sentimental value on Starships. :)

I've thought of the exact same things. The late 23rd century ships required restraints because their ID fields were not as effective and the later era vessels did not require them becsue of advancements in technology.

Yes they might have better technologe but I have seen ep of next gen, voyage, and ds9 that the crew flew across the bridge and poor worf he did not even have a chair :bow:

The safety that I wonder about isn't for the bridge officers, it's the families on the ship. Sure, they encounter dangers every episode but what about when they're planning on going on a mission that they KNOW is going to be dangerous. (like engaging the Borg or the Romulans). Shouldn't they drop some of the kids off at a starbase or something?

That's a good point. It's just one of those things that has been ignored for the sake of giving them more plot options with stories. It's absurd that families are allowed on ships like the Ent-E (or whatever incarnation you like). Call it a vessel of exploration/discovery if you like, but the fact is that it's one of the toughest ships in the Federation and often called upon for some of the most dangerous missions, so you really have to wonder at the logic of having families on board.

It would not likely be possibly to drop everyone off, but you'd think they should at least have transports that could evacuate those people just in case. Maybe they do and it's just one of those things that has never come up.

Wasn't that the purpose of the separating saucer, to get the non-Starfleet personnel out of harms way. (TNG pilot episode: Encounter at Farpoint.)

Alterego, you are very much correct. The Galaxy-class saucer seperation was intended to turn this massive ship of explorration into Starfleet's toughest battleship. All civlilians and all non-essential crew would evacuate to the saucer section commanded by one of the Bridge officers. Once the saucer was safely distant, the remaining section would then become known as the "battle section" AKA "engineering section". Anywho, I would think ships without saucer seperation and with families would just slow to impulse, let them take some shuttles - I can't imagine they're be more then 20 people work of families on most ships - then go back to warp.

I always thought that was one of the reasons why the saucer could separate form the rest of the ship, but they did it so infrequently that it doesn't seem to be used to protect non-combat personnel. Also, I really don't think they have enough shuttles to evacuate everyone not necessary to combat (not just family but also scientists and so on - they had a school with a fairly large number of kids, so there must have been teachers too and probably at least one spouse for every 2 children). It's just one of those things that you have to suspend your disbelief for I guess.

There are many reasons for saucer sections to be able to separate. One important one is the ability to escape a warp core breach. Starships have ejection systems but they do fail. When they do, everyone jumps in the saucer section and gets away form the drive section. (Generations) As for exploding computer terminals mentioned somewhere above. Why do they explode. Obviously there is a surge of power, but why can't they limit how much power that can enter a console. This would be very simple... all it would take is a fuse! You'd think if humans could create a faster than light starship, they could at least figure that out! I've seen one to many officers die from consoles... strange how it's never a main character.

Excellent points LCB, a fuse, Hugh oversight :bow: on the part of TPTB. Of course we know why they forgot that, they need to have consoles explode in peoples faces for drama but the time has come they should correct that oversight. I propose the idea of console force fields which allow hands access to the console while protecting crewpersons from console overloads or like you said, add fuses.

There are many reasons for saucer sections to be able to separate.  One important one is the ability to escape a warp core breach.  Starships have ejection systems but they do fail.  When they do, everyone jumps in the saucer section and gets away form the drive section.  (Generations) As for exploding computer terminals mentioned somewhere above.  Why do they explode.  Obviously there is a surge of power, but why can't they limit how much power that can enter a console.  This would be very simple... all it would take is a fuse!  You'd think if humans could create a faster than light starship, they could at least figure that out!  I've seen one to many officers die from consoles... strange how it's never a main character. 

Didn't they also try to eject the saucer or something in one of the episodes of TNG involving time travel?

As for the main character... it just isn't suitably heroic. :bow:

A better question would be why consoles always explode. They never just melt down due to the heat from the high current, they almost never (I've never seen it anyway) burn and they rarely just shut down. Nope, that would be too realistic. There has to be an exploding console somewhere. I've often wondered why they pack C4 (or whatever) into so many consoles on ships in Trek. :bow:

It was suggested to me. Why don't they have holo concoles like in minority report? Then they could not exploed and if you happen to find yourself flying across the room you would just go through the panel instead of hitting it.