Sign in to follow this  
Captain Bolivar

All Good Things

In "all good things" there is an anomaly that grows backwards in time (anti-time). In the future time line Jean Luc initiates a inverse tachyon pulse that coincides with the same part of space that the other pulses did in the present and past timelines creating the anomaly.

When the U.S.S. Pastuer arrives in the Devron system to look for the anomaly there is no sign of it. They later activate the pulse creating it.

So if the anomaly grows backwards in time, the Pastuer should have been able to detect the anomaly before they activated the pulse.

Additionally, when they returned in the triple-nacelled Enterprise, the anomaly should NOT have been there because it hadn't been created yet according to anti-time... but it needed to be there for the sake of the show so that the 3 Enterprise's could create static warp shells at the same time to seal the anomaly.

Anywho, things like this annoy me in ST... They create rules for a phenomenon and break them in the same episode so that they have something to tell. Grrr. Good episode otherwise though.

I don't understand why they do things like this but then again how many people actually thought about that when they first aired the episode? In fact I watched the episode tonight before WWE Raw came on and noticed the same thing seeing as though this was only the second time that I have actually got to watch the episode all the way through I have to admit that I didn't notice it. Then I guess no one is perfect.

Stardate:213668.9

I noticed that the first time i watched it but i figured there must be some logical explantion for it so i just ignored it

They make mistakes all the time they have even made whole books on the subject of star trek mistakes but I have to agree its like the writers are not talking to one another and it really makes me mad when they just ignore somthing that they have to keep the plot going because it they use that item the show would last about 5 sec. :laugh:

Hey Trekzone, I do agree that it is a great episode! I wouldn't call it the best though. I feel that the theme of the episode was somewhat lacking. But other than that it was great, it had all the other elements of a great trek episode... including Q! YAY!!!

Hmm, I didn't notice that before. Ah, but I have a very scientific-sounding explanation. See what you think.

Statement: Time can't exist without anti-time, and anti-time can't exist without time.

There was one point in time when the anomaly didn't exist... the point in time that the future Picard went to investigate it. (This point will be used as a reference. All things future come after this point. All things past are before this point.) Once he sent out the pulse, though, it triggered the whole anomaly thing which became larger in the past. Who's to say, though, that it didn't become larger in the future as well? If time and anti-time do indeed exist together, it is possible. It could be like a parabolic curve. For each point in time in the past, there is an opposite point in time in the future where the anomaly is exactly the same size.

Q only focused on showing Picard that it grew larger in the past, because it is harder to wrap your mind around that concept. Also, in the future, Picard will eventually die, and he wouldn't be able to go and investigate. However, Q had to let Picard get a little glimpse of it growing in the future to enable him to figure the whole thing out.

Plausible?

the one thing I do remember is that in the end of the show they identified all three beems as the enterprise but at that time it was the pasture that started it not the enterprise

Hmm, I didn't notice that before. Ah, but I have a very scientific-sounding explanation. See what you think.

Statement: Time can't exist without anti-time, and anti-time can't exist without time.

There was one point in time when the anomaly didn't exist... the point in time that the future Picard went to investigate it. (This point will be used as a reference. All things future come after this point. All things past are before this point.) Once he sent out the pulse, though, it triggered the whole anomaly thing which became larger in the past. Who's to say, though, that it didn't become larger in the future as well? If time and anti-time do indeed exist together, it is possible. It could be like a parabolic curve. For each point in time in the past, there is an opposite point in time in the future where the anomaly is exactly the same size.

Q only focused on showing Picard that it grew larger in the past, because it is harder to wrap your mind around that concept. Also, in the future, Picard will eventually die, and he wouldn't be able to go and investigate. However, Q had to let Picard get a little glimpse of it growing in the future to enable him to figure the whole thing out.

Plausible?

Ensign Beedrill, very good analysis! Your right, we don't know for certain if the anomaly didn't grow in the future as well. However, this doesn't remove the fact that they should have been able to see the anomaly before they initiated the pulse. As for time and anti-time existing together as a parabolic curve, you may or may not be correct about that. Only a true study of quantum dynamics could tell you if that is plausible. However, I believe that anti-time does exist.

Here is why I believe anti-time exsts. Einstein proved that nothing could travel at the speed of light, but things could travel slower or faster. Tachyon's are a theoretical particle that do travel at faster than light speeds. These of course are theoretical. But I feel that it could be possible for another reality to coexist with ours... the difference with this reality is that it would be an anti-time reality. In other words, it's time would travel opposite in direction RELATIVE to ours. To particles in the anti-time universe, travelling at just above c (light speed) in their universe would be like travelling just below c in ours. To them, we would be the ones going backwards in time, and we would be the ones travelling at faster than light speeds. It would really just be a matter of perspective. If you understand what I am saying, this should seem logical, but not necessarily true. It is just my theory, based upon Einstein's theories.

However, this doesn't remove the fact that they should have been able to see the anomaly before they initiated the pulse. 

I'm not sure I understand what you're saying. Why would they be able to see the anomaly before they even created it? Even with anti-time and all that stuff working, they still wouldn't have been able to see it. They are the ones who created it, and they couldn't see it until they created it.

As for time and anti-time existing together as a parabolic curve, you may or may not be correct about that.  Only a true study of quantum dynamics could tell you if that is plausible. 

Well, I didn't do any studying for my theories. You're right, I have no science to back them up. But it's still fun to think about and wonder over. Yeah, I contemplate the uncertainties of the universe for fun. Can we say geek? Yeah, I'm a geek and I'm proud.

Interesting theory about the anti-time, Commander. Sounds like you like doing this sort of thing for fun, too.

Apparently they made a mistake. When I watched this episode in the past, I didn't notice that there ever was a problem with this episode but now I do. Thanks for pointing out this minor detail. Anyhow, the episode was a good one. :bow:

Ensign Beedril, yes I suppose i'm a bit of a geek who likes to think about the universe and such. anyhow, the reason they would be able to see it before they create it would be because it grows into the past. Picard could see it in the present and the past and it had not been created yet; they create it in the future. Here is a timeline to better illustrate my point.

BEFORE CREATION OF LIFE ON EARTH

- Anomaly spans entire Alpha Quadrant

BEFORE FARPOINT MISSION

- Anomaly is very large

SEVEN YEARS AFTER FAR POINT

- Anomaly is big, but not very large

FUTURE - WHEN THE PASTEUR LOOKS FOR THE ANOMALY

- Anomaly should be seen because the anomaly grows into the past. And compared to the next part of the timeline (written below) this is the past.

FUTURE - WHEN MODIFIED ENTERPRISE D RETURNS SOMETIME AFTER PASTUERS PULSE

- Anomaly is created, because they initiate a pulse that converges with the same area of space with the other 2 Enterprise pulses

To Jean Luc, they weren't detecting 3 signatures... the were detecting 2 OTHER's in ADDITION to their own. The anomaly was created by the convergence of the 3 beams. One from the "pre-Farpoint Enterprise", one from the "seven-years-since-farpoint Enterprise, and one from the 3-nacelled-future Enterprise.

In my other postings a had it a little wrong. I said that the pasture created the anomaly, but it was a bit of a typo... it was all the 3 Enterprises. Why on earth did I think the pasture had something to do with it. Anyhow, the pasture should still have detected the anomaly, and when the future Enterprise created it with the help of the 3 other enterprises it should have disappeared off of the future Entprises sensors, because according to anti-time, the anomaly didn't exist yet. Gee, it can be really hard to write down thoughts and timelines when anti time is involved. The english language just doesn't have the right tenses.

Actually, it was the tacyon pulses of the pre-"Farpoint" Enterprise-D, the "present" Enterprise-D, and the "future" Pasteur. The future Enterprise-D never used a tacyon pulse, becuase where Beverly trusted and believed Picard, Riker thought he was out of his mind. All 3 Enterprises created the static warp shell to collapse the anomolly, but in creating it, it was the past Enterprise, present Enterprise, and future Pastuer. :lol:

Ensign Beedril, yes I suppose i'm a bit of a geek who likes to think about the universe and such.  anyhow, the reason they would be able to see it before they create it would be because it grows into the past.  Picard could see it in the present and the past and it had not been created yet; they create it in the future.  Here is a timeline to better illustrate my point.

But wouldn't there be a point in time when the anomaly doesn't exist? That's what has me confused. It does grow in the past, but the Pasteur should not have been able to detect it because it wasn't there. I'm using this point in time as a reference point. If this isn't the point when the anomaly didn't exist, then when is it? There has to be some point. Here's my view...

BEFORE CREATION OF LIFE ON EARTH

- Anomaly spans entire Alpha Quadrant

BEFORE FARPOINT MISSION

- Anomaly is very large

SEVEN YEARS AFTER FARPOINT

- Anomaly is big, but not very large

FUTURE - WHEN THE PASTEUR LOOKS FOR THE ANOMALY

- The anomaly has been growing smaller. And now it has grown so small that it is non-existent. This is its starting point. This is where it's created. At one point in time, it has to grow so small that it doesn't exist. That should be this point in time. This is the vertex of the "parabolic curve", so to speak.

FUTURE - WHEN MODIFIED ENTERPRISE-D RETURNS SOMETIME AFTER PASTUER'S PULSE

- using what I said before, the anomaly has grown in the future as well.

How come Data says the tacyon beam was coming from the Entreprise in 3 different time frames when in the future, it was the Pasteur who made the tacyon beam and not the future Enterprise-D?

Perhaps Data was just assuming. He couldn't have known what was going on in the future. He probably just assumed it was the Enterprise

Gee, it can be really hard to write down thoughts and timelines when anti time is involved. The english language just doesn't have the right tenses.

I believe The Restaurant at the End of the Universe by Douglas Adams references a book of tenses you can use when speaking of things like this. I forget what it's name is. Eh, it's just a joke anyway. But it's funny.

Beedrill, the point at which the anomaly doesn't exist is any moment after the Pastuers pulse in normal time. Any time before that the anomaly does exist. So before the Pastuer initiated the pulse, they should have detected the anomaly. I hope that answered your question. If not, let me know and I'll make a quick windows paint graph to illustrate what I'm saying. It is so hard to articulate with words after all.

I'm not sure how quickly it did grow into the past so perhaps when they arrived there before the initiation of the pulse the anomaly was so small that it couldn't be detected. Of course, then why would it have grown so much by the time the Enterprise returned to the site.

Picard, so the future enterprise didn't initiate it after all! Interesting. I would love to watch the episode again. I'm starting to confuse myself, and I need to see it again to get straightened out.

Beedrill, the point at which the anomaly doesn't exist is any moment after the Pastuers pulse in normal time.  Any time before that the anomaly does exist.  So before the Pastuer initiated the pulse, they should have detected the anomaly.

Oh, I get it now. *smacks head* It just suddenly clicked. Yes, I understand.

I'm not sure how quickly it did grow into the past so perhaps when they arrived there before the initiation of the pulse the anomaly was so small that it couldn't be detected.

That's probably it. As for it being bigger when the Enterprise came back, perhaps it starts off growing small and then, boom, gets bigger. Yes... the boom is needed for emphasis.

I would love to watch the episode again.  I'm starting to confuse myself, and I need to see it again to get straightened out.

I think I'm going to have to do that again. If I have time. I just happen to have them on tape. (Couldn't bring myself to tape over them, as I love those two episodes.) The question is whether I'll have enough time to do it this weekend...