Sign in to follow this  
TJ Phaserman

For your heroism, you get to stay after school

SEASIDE, Calif. - A 15-year-old girl who stopped an out-of-control school bus she was riding on was handed a Saturday detention because she was skipping school.

Marina High School student Amanda Rouse was on a bus with 40 elementary school students Wednesday morning when the driver fell out of her seat after a turn and hit her head.

Rouse jumped up and applied the brakes, bringing the bus to a halt after striking two parked cars. No one was injured.

She said had asked the bus driver for a ride because she felt sick at school.

"She is in trouble with school because she made the wrong decision," said Rouse's grandmother, Sally Correll. "But I can't help but believe that she was where God wanted her to be."

A spokesperson for the Monterey Peninsula Unified School District could not immediately be reached Saturday.

If you are sick, you go to the school nurse. You don't go to the parking lot and ask the bus driver for a ride. The bus driver should be investigated also.

I understand that, and i guess she was skipping out.. but for the record, at ym school and a lot of other ones around here, there are no "school nurses". We go to the office if we aren't feeling good, and we can go to a sick room (which is just a bed to lie down on) and if we still aren't feeling good they send us home.. maybe this girl was just bypassing the whole laying down part.

I don't see how the two are related. Sure, what she did was great and she deserves congratulations for her quick thinking. But the true mark of character would be doing the detention without whining.