Sign in to follow this  
Itchygomba69

Report: NHL may play Yankee Stadium finale

by FOXSports.com

The last game in the House That Ruth Built might have a chilly forecast.

The NHL's New York Rangers are in discussions to play the final game in Yankee Stadium on ice, according to a report in the New York Daily News.

Momentum is growing to complete the deal, and the Yankees are in support of the proposal, the report said.

"It's something we've spoken both to the Yankees and to the city about," NHL deputy commissioner Bill Daly told the paper. "But it's not a done deal. There are still other possibilities and a lot of moving pieces."

The Rangers are trying to capitalize on the buzz created by this season's NHL Winter Classic, which pitted Sidney Crosby and the Pittsburgh Penguins against the Sabres in Buffalo's Ralph Wilson Stadium.

The opponent for the possible game is not yet decided, but the report said it's likely the NHL will push for another major television market's team rather than a local rival like the Islanders or Devils.

"We've been working on this for two years and we're excited to be in the mix," Islanders VP/communications Chris Botta told the paper, "because we know Islanders vs. Rangers at Yankee Stadium would be great for hockey."

The Yankees will move into a new stadium for the 2009 season, a modernized facility designed to resemble the old classic.

Now I am a Big NHL fan and IMO this aint right, let a Football game be played there cause it has a history with the Giants of the NFL Playing there or hold a boxing match there as the last event cause once again it has a history of boxing matches, but a Hockey game @ this historic Baseball field as its final game just doesnt sit well with me as a Sports fan, that said who knows anything to get the NHL attention right now is a good thing I guess

Edited by Itchygomba69