Sign in to follow this  
trekzone

Copyright & Paramount

In an AIM conversation with Syperphobia, the topic of copyright laws in regards to episode copying, the MP3 versions available on KaZaa (note: i dont download them)...

Now I know people (even i do) copy onto VHS and DVD from the TV, so whats the difference between this and the digital version????

I would like to know, any thoughts?

Truthfully I don't see a difference, but I believe there are laws (here in the US) that say there is a difference.

Of course one difference would be the ability to transfer digital media with greater ease then video tape. You can download an AVI but you can't download a VHS. You can download an MP3 but you can't download an audio cassette taped from the radio.

I am now putting in voyager ep. from vhs to vcd so I will have a hard copy that won't wear away I don't think this is ileagle as they come from tapes that I allready own and was on tv. Now getting something off the internet I can see why they don't like it as in music only one person is buying it and passing it around but I don't think it should be bad to download like a tv show as it was free to star out with but movies then you go into the buying thing again.

i see fredbroca........so for personal viewing its cool......group viewings nah.....cool thanx guys!