Sign in to follow this  
Kor37

Conn. Student Suspended For Buying Candy

Conn. Student Suspended for Buying Candy

AP

Posted: 2008-03-12 11:42:06

NEW HAVEN, Conn. (AP) - Contraband candy has led to big trouble for an eighth-grade honors student in Connecticut.

Michael Sheridan was stripped of his title as class vice president, barred from attending an honors student dinner and suspended for a day after buying a bag of Skittles from a classmate.

School spokeswoman Catherine Sullivan-DeCarlo says the New Haven school system banned candy sales in 2003 as part of a districtwide school wellness policy.

Michael's suspension has been reduced from three days to one, but he has not been reinstated as class vice president.

He says he didn't realize his candy purchase was against the rules, but he did notice the student selling the Skittles on Feb. 26 was being secretive.

Sheesh!....Why don't they have him executed while they're at it?..... :blink:

How many schools have fundraising drives where students SELL candy?

I'm so glad I grew up in the 80s before this politically correct *Bullcrap* craze got started.

I got suspended in the 8th grade for one day for FIGHTING, my second time that week if I remember, and this guy originally got 3 days, his title stricken, and denied an honors dinner for a (I'm trying to say a bad word but can't) bag of SKITTLES?

Edited by Lt. Van Roy

Expect a massive backlash against the school for this, when local news stations carry it. Then again, they deserve it for this blatant overreaction. Who knows, if the kid is suspended one day, he can spend it eating all the Skittles he wants :blink:

The healthy food movement is going strong in the suburbs here.

I agree the punishment is way beyond being reasonable. This school should be ridiculed and suffer embarrassment throughout the country and the world. ... oh wait, it just was!

haha, thats awesome...

"hey man, wanna buy some smarties? only 5 bucks for the bag. its real good stuff man, it'll get you buzzed!"

"Forget coke! Snort a line of Pixie Stix!"

UPDATE:

Conn. School Backs Off Candy Punishment

AP

Posted: 2008-03-13 06:35:53

NEW HAVEN, Conn. (AP) - An eighth-grade honors student who was suspended for a day, barred from attending an honors dinner and stripped of his title as class vice president after he was caught with contraband candy in school will get his student council post back, school officials said.

Superintendent Reginald Mayo said in a statement late Wednesday that he and principal Eleanor Turner met with student Michael Sheridan's parents and that Turner decided to clear the boy's record and restore him to his post.

Michael was disciplined after he was caught buying a bag of Skittles from a classmate. The classmate's suspension also will be expunged, school officials said.

The New Haven school system banned candy sales in 2003 as part of a districtwide school wellness policy, school spokeswoman Catherine Sullivan-DeCarlo said.

"I am sorry this has happened," Turner said in a statement. "My hope is that we can get back to the normal school routine, especially since we are in the middle of taking the Connecticut mastery test."

Turner said she should have reinforced in writing the verbal warnings against candy transactions.

Michael had said that he didn't realize his candy purchase was against the rules, but he did notice that the student selling the Skittles on Feb. 26 was being secretive.

It sure didn't take them long to change their mind after being mocked from one end of the country to the other..... :blink: