Sign in to follow this  
trekz

17 month year old girl in Texas can read

17-Month-Old Girl in Texas Can Read

Posted: 11:44 AM Mar 4, 2008

Last Updated: 11:44 AM Mar 4, 2008

Reporter: Karin McCay

When babies are a year old, they're learning to walk and talk.

But in Lubbock, Texas, there is a 17-month-old girl with curly blonde hair, a beautiful smile and an incredible gift.

Elizabeth Barrett is 17-months-old.

She looks and acts like most babies her age, but Elizabeth is different.

"She can read sentences," says Katy Barrett, Elizabeth's mom.

"She can read more words than we can count."

Katy, a speech pathologist, is married to Michael, another speech pathologist, and they say most people don't believe their infant is a reader.

"The joke is since we see kids with language problems, we think anybody with normal language skills is a genius," smiles Katy.

"But as time goes on, it's harder to deny that she's exceptional."

The Barretts have been reading to Elizabeth since she was born.

Now, she reads along.

During play time, Katy writes a word on paper and Elizabeth figures it out.

"What does this say, excited."

Katy is convinced that sign language helped launch her daughter's reading skills partly by watching shows like "Signing Times" on public television.

But we still weren't convinced.

So I wrote down the word "ball."

"Okay Elizabeth. What is this word?"

"Ball."

"Wow! I wrote down ball."

My cameraman wanted to try.

So he tried another one, banana.

"One more."

"Banana. That's a banana."

"Are you impressed?"

"I'm very impressed."

So we played, "stump the baby."

It was obvious, Elizabeth talks like she's one, but she reads like she's seven.

So what does her doctor think?

"At 14 months to be able to read avocado, I was floored," explains Pediatrician, Dr. Steve Stripling.

But rather than impress the doctor, the Barretts say they were just hoping he would rule out any condition, like autism.

"She does not appear to be autistic at all," the Doctor stated.

"It looks like this child is going to be completely normal and, likely, will be a great resource for humanity, being as smart as she is."

Elizabeth read all the words, and even when she was getting tired she read the last one.

"Beatles."

The Barretts tell me its not bragging rights.

But a call for help that motivates them.

To put Elizabeth on TV?

"We'd love to have access to professionals who can help us know what to do next for her," says Katy.

In the meantime, it's a game to chase down Elizabeth and challenge her skills.

"What is it?"

"Tonight Show."

END STORY ------------------------------------------

There were 10 comments on this story which were also interesting. There's also video on the web. Pretty impressive!

The skeptic that I am - is she really "reading" or are there just words that she has memorized how they look. I know doesn't always seem like a difference but when she sees "C A T" does she know each letter and know the sound each makes or has she just memorized C A T is pronound cat. If she is sounding out words from the letters - then yes, that's pretty impressive.

The skeptic that I am - is she really "reading" or are there just words that she has memorized how they look. I know doesn't always seem like a difference but when she sees "C A T" does she know each letter and know the sound each makes or has she just memorized C A T is pronound cat. If she is sounding out words from the letters - then yes, that's pretty impressive.

What about her being able to read advanced words such as avocado? I highly doubt she memorized how that looks and sounds, to me it sounds like she's reading.

I don't know, I don't consider "avocado" a very advanced word, especially if she's a kid that gets taken to the super market. "Exsanguinate," on the other hand...

Edited by WishfireOmega

What about her being able to read advanced words such as avocado? I highly doubt she memorized how that looks and sounds, to me it sounds like she's reading.

Well, to me it sounds like I don't have enough information to know for sure.