1. 1. Which film is better?

• Hamlet (1948), Starring Laurence Olivier
    • Macbeth (1948), Starring Orson Welles
    • Macbeth (1971), Directed by Roman Polanski
    • Romeo + Juliet (1996)
    • Much Ado About Nothing (1993)
    • Henry the Fifth, Starring Laurence Olivier
    • Other

Why isn't Kenneth Branagh's Henry V on the list?

I saw that film on TV and was not very keen on it. I think Kenneth Branagh is better in the comedies IMO.

Anyway, I added the 'other' option as different people have different views.

I saw Much Ado About Nothing in the theatre a couple of times - it was great!!

I remember seeing the Roman Polanski version of MacBeth in a high school Language Arts class. Our teacher had warned us it was quite bloody. I also remember reading about Roman Polanski's comment when he was asked about. His reply was that the reporter should have seen his house (after his wife and her friends had been slaughtered by the Manson family).

"Taming of the Shrew" with John Cleese as Petruchio. I saw it nearly 20 years ago. To truly appreciate how funny Shakespeare could be, you have to see this.

I think it was a BBC production. I have not been able to find it since then.

In contrast, I saw the Richard Burton version, and he was not nearly as funny as Cleese. Which proves that being a great Shakespearean actor does NOT make one a great Shakespearean COMIC actor.

BTW, I don't think "Taming of the Shrew" was Shakespeare's best comedy. That would be "Midsummer Night's Dream", but I have yet to see a version that does justice to the original script.

That would be "Midsummer Night's Dream", but I have yet to see a version that does justice to the original script.

I saw this at the Southern Utah Shakespeare festival about sixteen years ago...it was the funniest thing I have ever seen in my life. I've never seen another version come close.

That would be "Midsummer Night's Dream", but I have yet to see a version that does justice to the original script.

I saw this at the Southern Utah Shakespeare festival about sixteen years ago...it was the funniest thing I have ever seen in my life. I've never seen another version come close.

Unicornhunter, you are so lucky!